Q about Sonos

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hello, everyone. I did a search for Sonos and got old hits and a lot of them. I was just wondering if the speakers can be controlled by more than one person. Can everyone download the app or Talk to Alexa to get the speaker to work? I tried to use the sonos assistant but no one came on after like 15 min. I was thinking of putting one out by the pool. and also one for the kids' bathroom upstairs. I was thinking a Roam so they could carry it from the bathroom to the bedroom and maybe something a little bigger for outside ? What say you? I also want to know if you pair it with the kid's phone or how it works for music.....yeah, is it obvious i'm not a big music person...

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure but if this works like all other Bluetooth (BT) speakers, it will only allow a single BT connection at a time. What I do is use an old tablet with the Spotify app up and put it near the speakers so any guest may change the music and play "DJ".

Reactions: AnnInOhio
Sonos has an app and you will have a sonos account. The app is used to control their products. All products connect to your wifi. I believe both the move and the new smaller roam can be connected to with traditional Bluetooth and controlled locally that way if take them on vacation or away from your wifi.

We have one sonos account at my house. My wife and I both have the app on our phones and both use the same username and password to login. We can both control all our sonos speakers that way. When the kids get old enough to use them, Ill add the app on their phones and let them login with the same username and password we use. For guests to use them I would think they could connect to your wifi then use Airplay if they have iPhones to connect to them. I have not tested this but it should work.

Sonos has an app and you will have a sonos account. The app is used to control their products. All products connect to your wifi. I believe both the move and the new smaller roam can be connected to with traditional Bluetooth and controlled locally that way if take them on vacation or away from your wifi.

We have one sonos account at my house. My wife and I both have the app on our phones and both use the same username and password to login. We can both control all our sonos speakers that way. When the kids get old enough to use them, Ill add the app on their phones and let them login with the same username and password we use. For guests to use them I would think they could connect to your wifi then use Airplay if they have iPhones to connect to them. I have not tested this but it should work.

Can one person override the current song selection of someone else using their own app?

Can one person override the current song selection of someone else using their own app?
Yes, using the app with the same username and password. My wife does this to me all the time. I'm floating in the pool relaxing to my classic rock and all of a sudden 90's country starts blasting away.

With the app you can also que up individual songs or playlists which is what she should do. So when mine finishes her's plays next. But she "forgets" she can do that.

Yes, using the app with the same username and password. My wife does this to me all the time. I'm floating in the pool relaxing to my classic rock and all of a sudden 90's country starts blasting away.

With the app you can also que up individual songs or playlists which is what she should do. So when mine finishes her's plays next. But she "forgets" she can do that.

Gotcha thanks! And now that I think about it, Spotify works the same way. I found this out since I used to use my login (of 6) for my Alexa but when I was away from the house listening to Spotify and someone put on the Alexa, my song would change to that song. I finally dedicated one of the accounts solely for Alexa.

Reactions: NCMike
so.... if you Like music and have songs on your phone, you're golden. we listen to iheart and some spotify. but this can all be synced, I am ASSuming??? it's just expensive and I don't want to buy it only to not be able to use it...

You can add many “services” to the Sonos app including iHeartRadio and Spotify. We personally use tunein radio and Apple Music the most. I use the sinks amps so I also have local inputs to plug stuff into. It is expensive but it does work. The older I get I just want to buy something and it work. So so does that and I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford it. Here’s the full list of services that work with sinks

Love our Sonos. There is an amazing Sonos app people don't know about. Its called SonosTube which you pay a one time price for. It will basically play the audio from any youtube video. As everyone knows, almost every music album is available on youtube so you can just play it though your Sonos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.