Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
My current setup as built by pool builder has 3 way valve after filter:

1) goes through water temp sensor -> heater -> check valve -> (just installed) CircuPool SJ-30 SWG -> tablet chlorinator (not using for quite awhile)

2) is bypass for everything in #1

I also have suction-side Zodiac MX-6 vacuum cleaner. I have quite long pipes runs, as need all the flow I can get when cleaner is running. That means that I have to partially open bypass valve after filter.

It usually works fine with heater on (although I bet less efficient probably). I've just installed SWG (CircuPool SJ-30) and at low flow rate it would gather a lot of air/gases to the point where it senses low water level in the SWG and stops.

Right now I am planning to order valve actuator to install on the 3-way valve after filter to open it up only when the cleaner is running. But I was wondering if there is a better solution available.

I've removed both cartridges from the builder's installed chlorinator, so I don't think it affects flow that much. The larges bottleneck in flow is probably the heater.

What I really need is to keep same pressure no matter what speed my VS pump (Jandy ePump 2.7hp) is running. I was thinking a pressure relief valve after 3-way valve would solve it. So it always keeps flow through the #1 route above, but if pressure increases - it would gradually opens up #2 route. On the picture it is circled X is where in the path I was thinking to put it.

Quick google search did not uncover anything like that used for pools. And I was wondering if there is clear flaw in my thinking or perhaps it is viable and someone already done something like that?

Screenshot_20230720_115107.jpg

My current setup as built by pool builder has 3 way valve after filter:

1) goes through water temp sensor -> heater -> check valve -> (just installed) CircuPool SJ-30 SWG -> tablet chlorinator (not using for quite awhile)

2) is bypass for everything in #1

I also have suction-side Zodiac MX-6 vacuum cleaner. I have quite long pipes runs, as need all the flow I can get when cleaner is running. That means that I have to partially open bypass valve after filter.

It usually works fine with heater on (although I bet less efficient probably). I've just installed SWG (CircuPool SJ-30) and at low flow rate it would gather a lot of air/gases to the point where it senses low water level in the SWG and stops.

Right now I am planning to order valve actuator to install on the 3-way valve after filter to open it up only when the cleaner is running. But I was wondering if there is a better solution available.

I've removed both cartridges from the builder's installed chlorinator, so I don't think it affects flow that much. The larges bottleneck in flow is probably the heater.

What I really need is to keep same pressure no matter what speed my VS pump (Jandy ePump 2.7hp) is running. I was thinking a pressure relief valve after 3-way valve would solve it. So it always keeps flow through the #1 route above, but if pressure increases - it would gradually opens up #2 route. On the picture it is circled X is where in the path I was thinking to put it.

Quick google search did not uncover anything like that used for pools. And I was wondering if there is clear flaw in my thinking or perhaps it is viable and someone already done something like that?

View attachment 515495
You're confusing pressure with flow. Slow the pump down and flow reduces, can't change that.

You're confusing pressure with flow. Slow the pump down and flow reduces, can't change that.
Right... I am piggy-backing on pressure readings to judge about the flow. When pressure increases after the filter, it means the flow is reduced. And for cleaner operation I need higher flow to work, which I can achieve by partially bypassing heater+check valve+SWG+chlorinator. But when cleaner cycle is finished, and pump returns to low RPM, partially opened 3-way valve causes very low flow through the heater and SWG, so I have to manually close it to ensure these two work properly. I am planning to install valve actuator there working in sync with cleaning cycle, partially opening it when necessary, but I just thought perhaps it could be easier with pressure relief valve.

You could possibly use a check valve with a stiff spring but it will reduce the efficiency of the system (i.e. increased head loss). An actuated valve is a much better solution.

Or just get a robotic cleaner that does not depend on flow. More efficient too!

Reactions: averagejoe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.