Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a coupling that leaks. I found some old threads indicating JB Weld or Epoxy may work. Is that still a current thinking? Besides call a pool guy, any other suggestions? The picture is attached and I tried to show by drawing an arrow where it leaks. I can't get the scan to come out right side up. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• PVC Joint Leak.jpg
    PVC Joint Leak.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 58
Andy,

Your two leaks are on the pressure side of your pump.. This makes fixing the leak with JB weld or anything else kind of hit or miss. Sometime they work, but most times they do not, or at least the fix only lasts a year or two at the most..

That said, trying a fix will not hurt anything, and to fix it right will require quite a bit of re-plumbing....

I'd use a two part epoxy of some kind, if it were my pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had a similar issue and had luck with the following procedure.
  • Used air gun to dry joint with pump off.
  • Applied pvc cleaner and used air gun to force into joint and dry.
  • Applied pvc glue and used air gun to force glue into joint. Continued to apply low air velocity from gun until glue set.
This fixed my small leak

I was going to suggest what @JTAG did. Slather PVC glue around the joint and see if it melts it enough to seal it.

I was going to suggest what @JTAG did. Slather PVC glue around the joint and see if it melts it enough to seal it.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try one of the methods when break down my filter to do a thorough clean. Also just wondering if anyone tried as seen on TV flex seal product

Flex Seal is only good for very low psi applications.

In cases like this, I run the pump and have some "marine epoxy" mixed and ready, then wait for the leak.

Shut off the pump and quickly dry where the leak is. Apply the epoxy immediately.

Once the pump is off, the water in the tank is no longer pressurized wants to fall out, but atmospheric pressure needs to get in for that to happen. This results in a suction situation were the leak is. The atmosphere will "push" the epoxy into the gap where it was leaking. It may take 2 applications.

Let it set for a day before starting pump.

This works like magic, and has gotten me through numerous repairs that otherwise would have been a major undertaking. Mainly due to access issues.

(I use LOCTITE marine epoxy, widely available.)

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.