PVC Butt Connectors?

303Michael

Jul 8, 2019
Denver, CO
I've had a pool guy open and close my pool every year until now. Unfortunately I never paid attention to how these pipes were connected during the summer. Is this common and how should I reconnect these?

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_122609.jpg
    IMG_20200521_122609.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200521_171518.jpg
    IMG_20200521_171518.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 32
That's a new one on me.

The first one looks like maybe you had a leak and he cut the pipe and capped it. Main drain? Suction side vacuum you no longer use?

The second..... there's no excuse for sawing the pipes like that. Those collars where the pipe meets the heater unscrew so the plumbing can be disconnected.

On one hand, you're probably fortunate you got rid of him. On the other hand, you now get to repair those cut pipes. You'll need a saw, primer. glue, a couple fittings, and new O-rings for the heater most likely. Unless you install more unions, then you can leave the heater fittings undisturbed. You'll probably still have to trim the cut ends up a little.

A union
207074_256.png

I was thinking vandalism at first also, but then why would he cap the lines coming from the ground. That is really strange.

Maybe he couldn't get the couplings off the heater and decided he would break the pipe, cap the lines, and then fix in the spring.

Thanks for all the feedback and sorry for the confusion. One of the skimmer lines was capped off before we moved in so I know he didn't do that. I'm not sure why it was capped.

I honestly can't say whether my guy cut the other pipes like that or if they were like that when we moved in too. He serviced it for four summers and the primary reason we parted was that we were a further drive than most of his other weekly accounts. I don't have any reason to believe it was vandalism.

compression coupling

Thanks for the link.

I apologize. I wasn't serious when I referred to it as vandalism. It's just hard to believe a professional would cut pipes in order to winterize a pool. As Richard mentioned, there are unions on each of the pipes he cut that could have been detached instead. Maybe you can talk to the pool guy and get the full story. Good luck.

I apologize. I wasn't serious when I referred to it as vandalism. It's just hard to believe a professional would cut pipes in order to winterize a pool. As Richard mentioned, there are unions on each of the pipes he cut that could have been detached instead. Maybe you can talk to the pool guy and get the full story. Good luck.
No apology necessary. I agree it's a bit janky. At a minimum the cuts should have been straighter.

I did review some old pictures of the equipment and it looks like he did make the cuts. The only reason I can think of is so he could use the black rubber plugs we have instead of something else. That leads me to ask, what would I use to plug the pipes should I decide to rebuild the pipes and detach them from the equipment going forward.

The heater cuts almost look like they cut half and broke them off?
Can you email him if you split on good terms?
I've called and texted this week and unfortunately haven't heard back. I'm under the impression that a lot of his business was larger public pools so I'm not sure how the pandemic has affected his business. Maybe he was ****** at me for some reason. LOL ?‍♂️ I thought I was a pretty undemanding customer.

At this point I've accepted that I'll have to figure it out on my own. Now I just have to decide whether to rebuild the pipes or just use compression fittings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not a plumber, but I don't think compression fittings are a good idea, nor necessary. Have you ever done any PVC sprinkler work. You need three Sch 40 PVC Couplers, some Primer and Glue, and a saw. Remove the cut pipe at the unions, trim the cut ends to length to accommodate the extra length of the coupler, and glue away. Dry fitting is tough with 2" PVC, so make sure your measurements are accurate. You may need a Strap Wrench to help loosen the unions at the pump and heater. In a pinch, an oil filter wrench may work on the unions. Hopefully the unions weren't installed with glue on the threads. If so, it would explain why he cut the pipes.

Last edited:
I'm not a plumber, but I don't think compression fittings are a good idea, nor necessary. Have you ever done any PVC sprinkler work. You need three Sch 40 PVC Couplers, some Primer and Glue, and a saw. Remove the cut pipe at the unions, trim the cut ends to length to accommodate the extra length of the coupler, and glue away. Dry fitting is tough with 2" PVC, so make sure your measurements are accurate. You may need a Strap Wrench to help loosen the unions at the pump and heater. In a pinch, an oil filter wrench may work on the unions. Hopefully the unions weren't installed with glue on the threads. If so, it would explain why he cut the pipes.
I think I'll end up doing this. If I had to get new connectors for the pump, filter, and heater at some point can those be found at Home Depot by chance or will I have to go to a pool supply store or website? Also, will I have to get different plugs or will I be able to use the black rubber ones again? I want to start planning for the closing now.

The unions for the pump and heater are most likely proprietary. Instead of using couplers linked in my post, you can use the type shown in Richard's post. These are generic unions you can find at HD or Lowes. You can separate the pipes at the unions when closing times comes. Richard mentioned the potential need for new o-rings for pump/heater unions.Save the winterizing plugs...you should be able to use them.

The unions for the pump and heater are most likely proprietary. Instead of using couplers linked in my post, you can use the type shown in Richard's post. These are generic unions you can find at HD or Lowes. You can separate the pipes at the unions when closing times comes. Richard mentioned the potential need for new o-rings for pump/heater unions.Save the winterizing plugs...you should be able to use them.
Thanks again. I was able to rig up a set up to vac to waste today. I'll glue up the pipes tomorrow and work on redoing the pipes this summer, maybe with a diverter, to make it easier to open and close going forward.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.