Purpose of deep cleaning a sand filter.

Jul 30, 2016
East TN
I was curious to know what the purpose of it is. I've have read in multiple threads where a dirty filter actually will filter water better.
I know that having a dirty filter can cause pressure loss and all, but at what point do you know when to deep clean?
I bring this question up because I am 1.5 weeks in a slam and am seeing VERY little clearing of my water. The past two days has increased in clarity but I think it is b/c I used the DE method for the first time 3 days ago.
Just curious to know this and am not questioning the method by any means.

the sand can get "channeled" so that basically there are little channels the water runs straight through
diminishing the filtering ability.

IF you're in slam mode now, you shouldn't really see much clarity until all the dead algae
is out and the chlorine maintain shock level part is over...then, as long as the pump continues
to run 24hrs a day, you should say major clearing within 3-4 days.

Ok, guys. Thanks for the reply! I am in past the algae stage, pass the OCLT and have less than .5 CC. Just waiting on the water to clear. I went ahead and deep cleaned the filter in hopes to speed up the process. Sure didn't think it would hurt. The water was slightly murky but the biggest thing was waiting for all the dead algae to clear. The sand is only 2.5 years old but it had quite a bit of the white stuff come out. Only time will tell if it helped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.