Purple Ring & low pH and no alkalinity

Hey, another new Vegas valley resident to the forum. My old stomping grounds. Welcome to TFP! :wave: So, let's go over some things in an effort to get you back on track:
- You HAVE to cut the cord with the pool store and their testing. Accurate owner water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is priority #1. Store testing is often flawed, advice off the mark, and products overpriced. I highly recommend the TF-100 (link in my signature). Get the speedstiur as well if you can.
- Sometimes our FG pool get a dark ring around the waterline I call a "scumline". Does it seem gummy and hard to rub-off? Have you tried using a Magic Eraser to gently get it off?
- Your pH is too low of course. The soda ash might get it back up, we'll see.
- How are you chlorinating the water? Are you adding liquid chlorine, regular bleach, or some other packets?
- Maybe post a pic of the discoloration you are seeing, and maybe a pic of your equipment pad as well.
- Make sure to read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Also read/save those Vital Links below in my sig. You'll use them often.

We'll do what we can to help. Thanks fo posting.

Hey, another new Vegas valley resident to the forum. My old stomping grounds. Welcome to TFP! :wave: So, let's go over some things in an effort to get you back on track:
- You HAVE to cut the cord with the pool store and their testing. Accurate owner water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is priority #1. Store testing is often flawed, advice off the mark, and products overpriced. I highly recommend the TF-100 (link in my signature). Get the speedstiur as well if you can.
- Sometimes our FG pool get a dark ring around the waterline I call a "scumline". Does it seem gummy and hard to rub-off? Have you tried using a Magic Eraser to gently get it off?
- Your pH is too low of course. The soda ash might get it back up, we'll see.
- How are you chlorinating the water? Are you adding liquid chlorine, regular bleach, or some other packets?
- Maybe post a pic of the discoloration you are seeing, and maybe a pic of your equipment pad as well.
- Make sure to read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Also read/save those Vital Links below in my sig. You'll use them often.

We'll do what we can to help. Thanks fo posting.
Great news! We put in Metal Off and soda ash. Our purple ring has disappeared on more than half the pool! I’ve attached two pictures, one with the purple ring which is under water level now as we added water and one with the purple gone.
And our chems seem to be in normal range. Keeping fingers crossed :)5BB3C887-85BB-400B-8F72-3DFAF0DCE7A3.jpegD49CD9DE-263D-4D31-ADBF-EE40C5006FFD.jpeg

Jen, based on your last two posts, you'll hear this a lot on the TFP forum ...... No test strips; No over-use of tabs; no bags of shock; and no free store testing.

I'm glad you were able to get the purple ring to disappear, but I have a suspicion more problems are looming. Other than hard valley water (high CH), the rest should be easy management, but those bags of shock and tabs are driving-up your CYA fast. Test strips are horrible. Please consider what I noted in Post 2 about the proper test kit. It's a must. Remember to review those vital links in my sig below. TFP is a way of life for pool care. It works great if you follow the basic principles. Hope that helps.

Definitely get your own test kit. I suspect that you're going to have to do a substantial dilution to get the cyanuric acid and copper levels down.

Don't do a major drain without consulting a local professional about the water table and if it's safe to drain.

Pools can pop out of the ground if the water table is high and you drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.