Purging the filter?

I had a saltwater pool built this June and had several issues with the contractor that were eventually settled but not before I threatened legal action, however I am now having trouble getting answers back from the contractor now that his original obligation has been completed. (Big Surprise) I was told by another pool owner that the filter must be purged every couple of months, or when the pressure gage exceeds 10psi. And if not done it will ruin the filter. Is this correct, and if so how is it done.

Hi Cajunlance...

thanks for the opportunity to say....

hope you didn't use Professional Pools, Inc. owned by Ken Corner out of Duson, LA. I did, and I wouldn't recommend him to my worst enemy (or anyone else.)

These are some good folks here that will be glad to help you much.

One thing that I did was to download the instruction manuals to all of my equipment into one nifty little folder... and I've used all of them at least once... I learned darn well during the build that neither my pb nor his subs had ever read an instruction manual, and to ask him questions about anything was just asking for a lie... because in general... he simply didn't know the right answer, and he certainly wasn't going to admit to that.

There's too much differing technology and progressing technology out there to "just know the right answers based on experience." Somebody actually has to listen to or read what the manufacturer intended.

Dutchown here... holler back sometime.

Steve

Filters need to be cleaned/backwashed reguarly. How you do that depends on the specific kind of filter you have. The usual rule of thumb is to note the PSI reading right after cleaning/backwashing and then clean/backwash it again when the PSI reading goes up by 8 to 10 PSI from where ever it started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.