Purchase options new pump

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
After at least 16 years the time has come to replace the pump. I found the best price on amazon - about $60 less than lowest online pool supply superstore. Amazon reviewers with early pump failures report frustration with warranty and customer service.

I’m a bargain buyer but would rather not be cheap if unplanned hassles arise. Any opinions on whether it matters where the pump is purchased?

High HP. Do you really need that much pump? Or does your pressure vac run off that pump too?

Starting next year all replacement/new install will be variable speed.

The pump was installed prior to buying the house. The former owner was some kind of engineer plus i seem to recall calculations on some pool records left behind. Ill see if i can dig it up. Anyway, it’s about 50 feet to a pool jet and 15-20 to the skimmer. The polaris runs off the same pump.

When my pool was built 20ish years ago, it was installed with a 2 (2.5?) HP pump. It was to "provide enough pressure for the pop ups". The builder was a serious over engineer approach guy. It was killing me on the power bill. He dropped it down a 1/2 HP on the pump but said "you will always have a center stripe of dirt". I didn't care. Motor finally went out and I replaced it with a variable speed pump. Lowered power cost bill and lost the stripe.

Insofar as where to buy a pump is the same as buying a car - shop around.

Last edited:
Thanks, he is a good dog.

The pop ups aren't mobile, they raise and rotate in the mount point. If the pressure isn't high enough then there are gaps created. Same concert as a lawn sprinkler system, not enough water pressure and there will be a stripe of dead grass..

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.