Pumps Ran Dry Due To Freeze. Won't Come On

Dabby

Aug 16, 2010
Saginaw, TX
I have a Hayward booster pump that runs the Polaris and an EcoStar for the filter. We've been experiencing an extended freeze (for N Texas, anyway) and all the pumps were running thanks to the freeze guard.

Unfortunately, I believe either the filter itself or a pipe froze and both pumps ran dry, again thanks to the freeze guard, for I don't know how long. The booster will not run and the EcoStar will not run nor does the display panel come on. It's like neither is getting power.

Are they both toast or do you think there is some way to fix them?

Thanks

I have a Hayward booster pump that runs the Polaris and an EcoStar for the filter. We've been experiencing an extended freeze (for N Texas, anyway) and all the pumps were running thanks to the freeze guard.

Unfortunately, I believe either the filter itself or a pipe froze and both pumps ran dry, again thanks to the freeze guard, for I don't know how long. The booster will not run and the EcoStar will not run nor does the display panel come on. It's like neither is getting power.

Thanks
Check the breakers

Not getting power is not caused by the pumps running dry.

Fix your power problems first.

Check the breakers.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Thanks
If they ran dry they may have overheated and shutdown. But putting power back on without melting the ice that stopped the flow is just going to make it do the same thing again.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Everything seems to be pretty much fixed now, except the variable speed pump shuts off when I try to switch it to low speed. It runs fine on high.

After I discovered that the filter appeared to have frozen, I built a big box over all the equipment out of 2" insulation board. I put a halogen work light inside and left it on for about 24 hours. That kept the temperature inside at about 80°. That must have thawed everything out and gave the pumps time to cool down and reset.

I didn't know the pumps would actually shut themselves down when they overheated. I panicked and thought they had seized up.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Many pump motors are thermally protected and shut themselves down when they overheat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.