Pump won't prime

Dmm128

Jun 29, 2019
Manassas
Just bought a house, so I'm new to all this pool stuff. Previous owner seemed to have the pump running 24/7 because the timer did not have the off tripper in place. I turned off the pump the other night and then when I went back the next day the pump basket was low and when i turned the pump back on, there was no suction. I filled the pump basket with water but it immediately returns to the original level after I stop. The o ring on the basket cover appears to be in good shape. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sounds like a suction leak if you can't get it to prime. Check out the article in Pool School. The pump should not drain when it shuts off, so clearly air is getting into the system.

The previous owner removed the off tripper, because he knew it would not prime again when called to come on again after sitting off for ever how long it does before it turns on again. wiggle the pump to see if plumbing connections in/out of pump seem loose, if there is a water leak on discharge side of pump, then it usually means theres also an air leak on suction side of pump at fitting.

The basket will only accept so much water before it begins to flow back down suction pipe, fill basket to the lowest point of inlet fitting. if needed place running garden hose in skimmer port and close off somewhat with your hand so water primarily goes through pipe, with pump lid on, and pump running, see if this eventually makes pump prime, you should hear it at the pump and feel stronger suction at garden hose, if it seems pump primes this way then when strong enough suction is felt pull hose away from pipe and see if it can continue pick up prime on its own, without hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.