Pump won't kick on, Wiring question

buddywiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Morgantown, WV
Hayward Superpump 1 HP set up as 220V. Tried to turn on first time since closing in October but didn't turn on. Timer has screws A, 1, 2, 3, 4. When I test with multimeter I am getting the expected 120V on screws 1 and 3. But with the timer switched to Off, I am also getting 120 on screws 2 and 4. Is that normal? When I do switch the timer to On, I hear a click and buzz and the pump gives off some smoke. I am going to replace the motor, but wondering about measurement when timer is switched to Off. I would expect that to be 0.IMG_20200405_114139.jpg

Buddy,

When you try to measure 120 volts in a 240 volt circuit you can get false readings when the pump is installed.. Not saying you don't have an issue, but you need to measure for 240 volts when troubleshooting.

1. Remove the wires at the pump.
2. With the timer off..
2. Measure the voltage between 1 and 3 (Should be 240)
3. Measure the voltage between 2 and 4 (Should be zero)
3. Turn timer on and measure the voltage between 2 and 4 (Should be 240)

This means the timer is working and the problem is with your pump or pump wiring.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: buddywiser
Buddy,

When you try to measure 120 volts in a 240 volt circuit you can get false readings when the pump is installed.. Not saying you don't have an issue, but you need to measure for 240 volts when troubleshooting.

1. Remove the wires at the pump.
2. With the timer off..
2. Measure the voltage between 1 and 3 (Should be 240)
3. Measure the voltage between 2 and 4 (Should be zero)
3. Turn timer on and measure the voltage between 2 and 4 (Should be 240)

This means the timer is working and the problem is with your pump or pump wiring.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, I will try this when I get a chance.

You should not be getting any voltage on 2 and 4 when the switch is off.

Measure from 1 to 3 and then from 2 to 4.

You can't measure each to ground and add them together when the wires are connected to the motor because the voltage will go through the windings.

If you want to measure each to ground, disconnect the wires from the motor.

Reactions: buddywiser
You should not be getting any voltage on 2 and 4 when the switch is off.

Measure from 1 to 3 and then from 2 to 4.

You can't measure each to ground and add them together when the wires are connected to the motor because the voltage will go through the windings.

If you want to measure each to ground, disconnect the wires from the motor.

Thanks, I just tested between 2 and 4 with it off and got 0. And 240 with it on. So I am good. I use a multimeter about once a year as you can tell :laughblue:

When I do switch the timer to On, I hear a click and buzz and the pump gives off some smoke.
This is bad and indicates that the motor is dead.

When the timer switch is off, you should not get any voltage from 2 to ground or 4 to ground or from 2 to 4.

If you're getting voltage from 2 to ground or 4 to ground when the timer switch is off, one or both timer contacts are stuck closed. You can replace the timer mechanism fairly easily.

Last edited:
This is bad and indicates that the motor is dead.

When the timer switch is off, you should not get any voltage from 2 to ground or 4 to ground or from 2 to 4.

If you're getting voltage from 2 to ground or 4 to ground when the timer switch is off, one or both timer contacts are stuck closed. You can replace the timer mechanism fairly easily.

Just to be clear, I haven't removed the wires from the motor yet. I went back out and tested like you said 2 to 4 instead of 2 to ground and 4 to ground with the wires still attached to the motor. I got 0 with the 2 to 4 with it off and 240 with it on. I'll see what happens when I get my new motor.

I suspect that the motor shorted out and the high current arc welded one set of contacts together.

If you're getting voltage from 2 to ground or from 4 to ground when the timer switch is off, you need to replace the timer mechanism.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.