Pump won't build pressure

Jeff15

Apr 22, 2020
San Antonio
My pump seems to me moving water in high mode but it just won't build pressure in the filter or seem to move enough water in the pump to clear the water bubble in the top of the pump. I don't know if this is related but my pool timer clock isn't working either, it won't turn despite the fact I've verified its getting 120v and I've even swapped it out with no luck though if I manually move it I can get the pump to kick over into high mode. My skimmer baskets are clear and the pump basket is clear too. There hasn't been any maintenance or changes to the pool recently. Any thought would be appreciated.

Video of the pump running: https://youtu.be/AVw8Db-kIos

IMG_1532.JPGIMG_1533.JPG

Jeff,

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

Sounds like you have a two speed pump.. If you can manually switch the pump between low speed and high speed, then the pump has to be ok.. The problem has to be in the timers that switch between the low speed and high speed.. Generally it take two different timers to control a 2-speed pump.

Show us a pic of the timers you currently have..

It is also possible that you have something caught in the impeller of your pump.

Show us pics of your whole equipment pad, so that we can better understand how your system is plumbed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, appreciate the response. The filter is brand new, had it installed in April, haven't done a breakdown yet (I do know how to do it and have done so on the previous filter). If the filter was getting clogged wouldn't that cause pressure to rise too much? (I'll add that I backwashed yesterday and it was kind of weak pressure for that too.). This is my equipment pad and the timer. I'm going to pop the top on the filter and see if the impeller is free of obstruction this afternoon.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 9
I'll also say that my timer hasn't moved for about two weeks but the pump has only been acting weird since yesterday. Timer is getting 120v and manually clicking it changes the pump from hi to lo mode, no idea why it isn't moving unless its a 240v timer? I don't think so because the wiring is come from the white and black wires coming into the unit so 120v hot and neutral wires.

Jeff,

So that is a DE filter that you have??? I had "assumed" it was a large cartridge filter..

I agree that the pressure gauge would normally go up if the filter is clogged, but gauges go bad and can get clogged themselves.. So just checking..

When the pump is running on high speed, what do you see when looking down through the plastic lid to the pump basket.. Does it look like the pump is running out of water, or is the basket full and just frothy looking?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Agree the DE filter is ready for a clean but you should have seen improvement after backwashing.... Have you had any changes in the water level? Have you tried priming the pump by filling the basket with water from the garden hose, then release air while the pump is priming using the filter release valve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.