Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Hello,

Hoping I can get some guidance from the group here regarding our pool installation, we are scheduled for this Tuesday (only 45 days delay.... I posted a while back but was missing some information).

The pool manufacturer is recommending to have the pump and filter installed <20' away from the pool but our preferred location will be ~40' away.

- below ground Kayak pools 16' x 32' x 4' with deep end 5.5', 2 bottom drains, see attached pictures
- sta-rite supermax pump
ITEM #MODELVOLTAGEFULL LOAD AMPSHPSFSFHP
PHK2RA6F-103LN1-1-1/2A-HP115/23016.0-8.01-1/21.11.65
- hose diameter: 1.5"

Any thoughts ? How can we figure out the pros and cons of an extra 10 feet ?

thanks in advance.
Fred
1600030072729.png

You should not get a single speed pump. Get a variable speed pump. The distance really doesn't matter as long as the pipe is sized correctly.

Go with 2 skimmers if possible.

As long as you keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump, you should be fine.

• Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
  • 1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
  • 2"..............63...............84 gpm
  • 2.5............90.............119 gpm
  • 3.0".........138.............184 gpm

Last edited:
A 1.65 hp pump on that pool is ridiculous. You don't need anywhere near that much power.

It will pull about 1,650 watts, which is about 5 to 10 times as much as a variable speed pump.

I would also suggest a big cartridge filter over a sand or DE filter. About 400 to 500 square feet would be good.

Suction lines should be 2".

Skip the Frog. Frogs belong in swamps, not in pools.

Reactions: markayash
thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

@JamesW: I don't understand how I can use your table to calculate max distance between pump and pool.

The kayak pools are pre-fab and they don't really let you pick different options. The whole package sits on my driveway now and they will be digging and installing in one day, Tuesday.
I asked if we can switch to 2" lines but I suspect not enough heads-up to change.
The filter is sta-rite PLM100 , see below.
As for the pump, it's confusing, I was told PHK2RA6F-103L (1.5HP) but on the packaging list it says supermax 1HP so it looks I am getting something different.
And we are not doing the frog system, we took the salt option.

Fred

1600054453874.png

Any decent builder will have plenty of 2" PVC pipe. If you use 2" pvc for the skimmer, the distance of 40 feet should be no problem. I would not put a 1.0 hp or larger pump on a single skimmer.

I would not use a single speed pump. I would go with a variable speed pump or at least a two speed pump.

A 100 square foot cartridge filter is too small, in my opinion. I would go with a much bigger filter. About 300 to 500 square feet would be better.

It really shouldn't be a big deal for the builder to change the pipe, filter and pump.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.