Pump suggestion: Powerflo Matrix vs Dynamo

ms2sneed

Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2017
Moreno Valley, CA
Hello -
I have 13,000 gallon AGP and my pump is not working, in fact it is tripping the circuit breaker every time I try to turn it on. It has given me almost 9 years of service, but now it is time to change. My pump is below water level at most two feet away from the pool, but the water has to go up to my solar heater(roof of a two story) before returning to the pool. It was recommended that I get a 1.5 HP dual, because I live in CA. I was looking at what INYO pools has for my needs and have the following questions: Would the 1.5 HP be the right size pump? What is preferred the Hayaward Powerflo Matrix or the Pentair Dynamo?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1.5HP should be plenty ... I think those 2 pumps are very similar so probably can't go wrong either way. I know a lot of members really like the Powerflo Matrix.

You will of course need to use high speed when starting the solar heating, and likely will want to keep using high speed for heating efficiency.
Do you use a solar controller to turn the solar on and off?
There are some that can work with 2-speed pump so it could run on low when solar heating was not needed and ramp up to high speed when it is needed.

Reactions: ms2sneed
Hello and Welcome to TFP!
How many solar panels do you have and what configuration are they (series or parallel)
I had a 1hp impeller on a Power-Flo Matrix pump and could get plenty of flow on low speed through my solar. Granted it was only 2x 2'x20'panels in parallel and not too far from the pump or pool.
I really liked the 2spd Power-Flo Matrix pump.

Yup, that is a solar controller, but I don't think it is one that is smart enough to handle controlling multiple pump speeds.
So, depends on what your plans are. If you get the 2-speed, you might have to just leave it set to high speed for the solar and only use low when you know the solar is not needed (like in the winter).
Or you could upgrade the solar controller. I think one of the Pentair ones does this, but would take some research.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!
How many solar panels do you have and what configuration are they (series or parallel)
I had a 1hp impeller on a Power-Flo Matrix pump and could get plenty of flow on low speed through my solar. Granted it was only 2x 2'x20'panels in parallel and not too far from the pump or pool.
I really liked the 2spd Power-Flo Matrix pump.

Teald024 - Thank for the welcome and information. I am including the aerial photo of the panels, I count 7, but not sure if they are parallel or in series nor of their size.

2 votes for the Powerflo Matrix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.27.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.27.46 PM.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.