Pump stopped working!

Ok, the next step is to check to see if the voltage is getting to the pump line in terminals.

If no voltage, the problem is with the switch.

If the voltage is good, I would replace the capacitor to see if that makes it work.

If a new capacitor doesn't help, then it's probably time for a new pump.

Ok thanks, I'll have to tackle that test on Sunday as I have other plans tomorrow. I did get the solar cover off tonight to make it easier to add bleach and brush like crazy to mix it in. At this point there is already a little algae so I'm just in swamp prevention mode until I can get my pump working and do a proper SLAM.

The main reason that I think that the pump is probably ok is that it's only 7 years old.

Pumps don't usually just completely die at that age.

I think that it's more likely that the switch has failed. It looks old and in bad shape.

Ok, the next step is to check to see if the voltage is getting to the pump line in terminals.

If no voltage, the problem is with the switch.

If the voltage is good, I would replace the capacitor to see if that makes it work.

If a new capacitor doesn't help, then it's probably time for a new pump.

I checked the voltage at the line in terminals at the back of the motor and it was good, so the pump is definitely getting the required voltage.

How do I get to the capacitor to know what replacement to buy? Is there a schematic online or something? I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of pool pumps but I do have some basic electrical skills so I think I can do this myself.

The main reason that I think that the pump is probably ok is that it's only 7 years old.

Pumps don't usually just completely die at that age.

I think that it's more likely that the switch has failed. It looks old and in bad shape.

I hear you and appreciate you trying to save me some money. Unfortunately all signs are currently pointing to the pump as the problem. Hopefully replacing the capacitor will fix it.

Ok, it just seems unlikely that the pump completely died at only 7 years old.

If the capacitor doesn't help, you probably need a new pump or motor.

A pool shop, electric motor shop or online shop should have what you need.

It's less than 1.0 hp. So, you can replace the motor if you want.

Probably a good time to go to a variable speed pump if you have high electricity costs.

Last edited:
Residential Pool Pump Motors.

Residential pool pump motors with a pool pump motor capacity of 1 HP or greater which are manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate. The pump motor must be operated with a pump control that shall have the capability of operating the pump at least at two speeds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My quote was directly from the title 20 code. In my opinion, Inyo is incorrect.

Find pdf here.

There are new federal rules coming. However, the new requirements don't take effect until July 18, 2021.

In January 2017, the U.S. Department of Energy (“DOE”) established the first national energy-efficiency standards for dedicated-purpose pool pumps (“DPPPs”) through the adoption of a direct final rule (“DFR”). DOE confirmed the adoption of the standards and the effective date and compliance date in a notice published in May 2017. The compliance date of the new standards is July 19, 2021.

DPPP motors are electric motors. Our proposed scope of coverage includes DPPP motors with total horsepower (THP) less than or equal to 5 THP. The 5 THP upper bound aligns with the upper bound for hydraulic horsepower (HHP) in the standards for DPPPs for self-priming and non-self-priming pool filter pumps. (5 THP is roughly equivalent to 2.5 HHP.)

Our proposed scope of coverage would exempt six types of pool pump motors from our proposed standards: polyphase motors capable of operating without a drive (and distributed in commerce without a drive), waterfall pump motors, rigid electric spa pump motors, storable electric spa pump motors, integral cartridge-filter pool pump motors, and integral sand-filter pool pump motors.

DPPP motors with THP greater than or equal to 1.15 THP would be required to meet the definition of “variable-speed control dedicated-purpose pool pump motor,” which we have defined.

The 1.15 THP threshold aligns with the 0.711 HHP threshold in the DPPP standards for self-priming pool filter pumps. (1.15 THP is roughly equivalent to 0.711 HHP.)

Last edited:
Ok, it's unusual, but it happens.

Based on your electrical costs, I would recommend a variable speed pump.

In my opinion, you can replace the motor with an equivalent since it's less than 1.0 total hp, but I think that the variable speed pump is the way to go.

Does the motor smell burned at all?

Last edited:
If the motor does not smell burned, it might be worthwhile to run it down to an electric motor repair shop for an estimate.

You can just remove the whole drive assembly and take that in.

Don't remove the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the seal plate.

Just remove the 4 bolts that hold the seal plate to the housing and pull back the whole motor and seal plate assembly.

At this point I think we're leaning towards buying a new pump. I feel like all we need is a 2 speed since the only thing we need a faster flow for is vacuuming. We don't have any other features to run. Is a variable speed really worth the extra money with our set up?

Here's one from Amazon. It's the 1hp 2 speed version of what we have now for $575 (including shipping). The one I linked above from INYO Pools was a 1.5hp variable speed for $450 (I think it said free shipping).

Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.