Pump stopped working!

It looks like your utility has a $200.00 rebate and Pentair has a $50.00 rebate.*

I would suggest the SuperFlo pump. With the unions, I think that it will fit right in with no replumbing required.

You can do the installation and maybe pay a service technician a nominal fee to officially "install" the pump by checking your work. Maybe leave the unions loose so that installation is nothing more than tightening the unions.

*Note: Verify rebate availability.

After some digging it looks like I can buy the Pentair pump from INYO Pools too and get a 1yr warranty for less than Amazon's cost for the same pump.

Here's the 2 speed

Here's the list of all the CA title 20 compliant pumps sold by INYO Pools

It looks like your utility has a $200.00 rebate and Pentair has a $50.00 rebate.*

I would suggest the SuperFlo pump. With the unions, I think that it will fit right in with no replumbing required.

You can do the installation and maybe pay a service technician a nominal fee to officially "install" the pump by checking your work. Maybe leave the unions loose so that installation is nothing more than tightening the unions.

*Note: Verify rebate availability.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines with sticking with a SuperFlo to avoid major replumbing.

Should I be trying to find 3/4HP for the 2 speed and variable speed? I'm finding 1HP for the 2 speed and 1.5HP for the variable speed. Are those too powerful for my current setup? I wouldn't mind stronger suction for vacuuming.
My suction side cleaner would probably work better with more suction. I stopped using it and manually vacuum instead because it usually only cleans the deep end and it plugs into the skimmer so I lose all skimming when it's in use.

i think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but my pool was plumbed a bit different than most. There is one main drain and one skimmer, but they are tied together underground somewhere so I have no way of adjusting how much suction comes from each (no valves and only one hole in the bottom of the skimmer).

A two speed pump requires a controller. If you get the two speed pump, you also have to install a qualified controller.

I would go with the variable speed pump.

The 1.5 hp is not too strong because you can control the speed.

Do you think just replacing the motor with a 2 speed motor (with attached controller) is an option? It says it's title 20 compliant.

Should the rest of the pump last long enough for this to be worth it since it's only 7 years old? Or are we better off buying a whole new one? It there anything else we would need to replace at the same time?

You can do a two speed motor if you want.

You should also replace the seal, housing gasket and diffuser gasket.

I'm still questioning why the original motor doesn't work. Are you 100% sure that you are getting 240 volts to the terminals?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay thanks. I have no idea why the motor doesn't work, but yes I'm sure it's getting 240 volts to the terminals. I tested it with my multimeter. We have been getting more rain that usual lately, including during the time period that the pump died. Not sure if there could have been a small leak somewhere that caused a short? The breaker never tripped though, so that may be an unlikely scenario. I am an engineer, so as much as I am with you in wanting to know why it broke, we were already talking about replacing the pump before it broke. So while this certainly forces the timeline up, I'd rather have a 2 speed pump than a 1 speed pump as we should save a decent amount of money on our electric bill. It will likely pay for itself in a couple years. Due to the simplicity of our pool set up, it doesn't seem worth it to spend the extra money on a variable speed pump for the small bit of added efficiency.

I haven't actually purchased the new motor yet, but at the moment we are leaning towards getting the 2 speed motor replacement as opposed to a whole new pump.

Reactions: JamesW
Just a quick update, our new 2 speed pump came in last week and I finally got it installed today! Super excited to have a functional pool again and also proud of myself that I was able to keep the water blue and looking pretty good despite not having a pump for nearly 4 weeks.

There is one minor setback as we now have a minor suction side air leak. On high speed there are some tiny bubbles in the pump basket that don't go away but it stays full of water. On low speed there is a small air bubble in the window that gets noticeably larger within 30 min, and within a few hours there was about an inch of air in the to of the basket.

We're going to try removing and reattaching the union where the suction side pipe attaches to the pump tomorrow. I already added pool lube to the pump basket lid but that didn't fix it.

I'll also check on it first thing tomorrow morning before the pump comes on to see if the air bubble grows when the pump is off.

The good thing is we can definitely still use the pump and pool while we figure this one out. I'm just hoping it's an easy fix.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.