Pump stopped, burning smell

Jul 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Today I noticed the pool pump wasn’t running. We adopted it when we bought the house four years ago. Never had a problem with it so far. Hayward Super II 1 HP.

I found the breaker was flipped so I flipped it back on. Humming for 10 seconds, then it shut off and breaker flipped.

Hoping it was just the capacitor I replaced that first. This time it turned on humming for a little longer, water pressure rose in filter a little more, but never quite sounded normal. Started to smell burning. Then it shut off after 15-20 seconds.

With power off I reached in. The impeller (?) was turning freely with my fingers.

Reading the forums there are suggestions including bad bearings to replacing impeller to bad motor.

I’m no gear head so what should I be looking for if I start taking the pump apart and replacing parts?

Thank you!

Dan

A lot of single speed pumps will have two capacitors, a starting and running. How does the back of the pump look?(where the wires connect) you can also turn the shaft from the back of the pump. In rare occurrences impeller is barely holding on to shaft. What did it sound like? Squealing. Grinding?

A lot of single speed pumps will have two capacitors, a starting and running. How does the back of the pump look?(where the wires connect) you can also turn the shaft from the back of the pump. In rare occurrences impeller is barely holding on to shaft. What did it sound like? Squealing. Grinding?
Here’s a video of my failing pump (Google Drive file)

Today I replaced the capacitor on the back of the pump (where the wires are). The above video was made after that.

Does this type have two capacitors? If so I don’t know where the other is.

I can turn the shaft easily from the back of the pump with a screwdriver through the slots. Is that what you meant?

Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 5B230D53-CBB2-48AE-A9C5-FF11B2241860.jpeg
    5B230D53-CBB2-48AE-A9C5-FF11B2241860.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3C756B40-03C4-428A-B672-B7C4AD7F4CF0.jpeg
    3C756B40-03C4-428A-B672-B7C4AD7F4CF0.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 12
I think your pump is 10 years old. Post a pic of the motor data plate.

I think you need to find a motor shop who can check it out and repair it. Or replace the motor.

Thanks for fast replies. Are bearings something I could do? Recommended tutorials or should I just YouTube it? Although I have never worked with motors before if it’s simple and clear enough I can learn.

I like to start off easy, inexpensive fixes and move up. Or save time/money and jump right to a repair shop?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for fast replies. Are bearings something I could do? Recommended tutorials or should I just YouTube it? Although I have never worked with motors before if it’s simple and clear enough I can learn.

I like to start off easy, inexpensive fixes and move up. Or save time/money and jump right to a repair shop?
You would need special tools, I think motor shop would be cheapest option. But have an idea of what a new motor would cost and compare.

There are YouTube videos on motor bearing replacement and you can use Search here to find threads on it.

With a burning smell I am not sure bearings are your problem. Bearings usually get noisy and screech when they go bad. With the burning smell I think windings have shorted.

Reactions: texasfin
I think your pump is 10 years old. Post a pic of the motor data plate.

I think you need to find a motor shop who can check it out and repair it. Or replace the motor.
Thanks for speedy help. 10 years sounds about right I knew the previous owner who talked about his pool sometimes.

I would post a pic of the motor data plate, but if it’s the one on top of the motor housing facing up (which I assume it is) it’s burnt to a crisp. Hardly can make anything out. Here it is anyway.04F2DF3E-1033-427C-858C-F836431534BA.jpeg

Another suggestion here was to replace the bearings. If the repair or motor replacement is clear and somewhat uncomplicated I have some time to watch, read, learn and do it myself. Unless I’d be in too deep, I’d take it in to a motor shop though to get it done right the first time.

I don’t think bearings are your problem and will fix it.

It is too burnt to put money into that motor.

Reactions: JamesW
The site you linked to for the motor says it is out of stock.

I would disassemble the pump and checkout the wet end of the 10 year old pump before ordering the motor.

In the meantime pour 5PPM of liquid chlorine into your pool daily and stir it in with your pool brush until you get your pump running.

Reactions: texasfin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.