Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I know there are many questions on this topic and weeded through many opinions. Thought I’d ask regarding my pool, even if it’s for confirmation.

My pool is 7500 gallons. Stays clean. I run my Pentair pump for 8 hrs a day at 2200 rpm. It primes at 2600 for about 10 minutes.

Obviously I want to work the pump the least possible but making sure I am on par here regarding speed and time.

The pool is fully caged and rarely gets any debris, etc. thanks

What model Pentair pump are we discussing?

Do you have a heater? SWG? Automation?

I believe working the pump the least possible is running the pump 24/7 at low RPMs. How low depends on your equipment. It is the start/stops and thermal cycles that cause wear on the pump.

What model Pentair pump are we discussing?

Do you have a heater? SWG? Automation?

I believe working the pump the least possible is running the pump 24/7 at low RPMs. How low depends on your equipment. It is the start/stops and thermal cycles that cause wear on the pump.
I have a Pentair super flow VST. Heater but rarely on in the winter, I’m in Florida. Automation.. just programmable but nothing else.

I don’t know what answer you are looking for with the information provided.

Most people with a SWCG run at whatever speed turns on their SWCG plus 100 RPM.. The slower you run the pump, the less it costs.

Time wise, you need to run the pump long enough so that your salt cell can make the amount of chlorine your pool uses each day.

I personally run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7 at 1200 most of the time. I do this because I like making a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time. I also like the look of my pool when there is a little motion in the water. The cost for me to run 24/7 is less than $20 bucks a month.

I personally believe that running 24/7 is better for the pump than starting and stopping each day. That said, I can't prove that is a fact, except for my personal experience with my three pools. All three have the same basic 3 HP IntelliFlo pump. They have been running 24/7 for over 10 years and they are still working like they did when they were first installed. Other than cleaning the pump baskets, every few months, nothing else has been done to them.

Edit... With a heater, and your smaller pump, I would think you would need to run at 1800 to 2000 RPM, but you will just need to experiment and see what turns your cell on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Most people with a SWCG run at whatever speed turns on their SWCG plus 100 RPM.. The slower you run the pump, the less it costs.

Time wise, you need to run the pump long enough so that your salt cell can make the amount of chlorine your pool uses each day.

I personally run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7 at 1200 most of the time. I do this because I like making a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time. I also like the look of my pool when there is a little motion in the water. The cost for me to run 24/7 is less than $20 bucks a month.

I personally believe that running 24/7 is better for the pump than starting and stopping each day. That said, I can't prove that is a fact, except for my personal experience with my three pools. All three have the same basic 3 HP IntelliFlo pump. They have been running 24/7 for over 10 years and they are still working like they did when they were first installed. Other than cleaning the pump baskets, every few months, nothing else has been done to them.

Edit... With a heater, and your smaller pump, I would think you would need to run at 1800 to 2000 RPM, but you will just need to experiment and see what turns your cell on.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. This helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.