Pump speed help

Oct 3, 2010
Cypress, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a pentair intelliflo variable speed 3hp pump here in Houston TX. My electric bill is high because a pool maintence guy sped up the pump because my rainbow 320 wasn’t dissolving pucks quickly enough to bring my chlorine up. I just changed out my filters and the pump is definitely running faster than I need it to. What’s the typical recommend pump speeds? I have a 14000 gallon pool.

Russ,

The IntelliFlo is a great pump, but the problem you are having is just one of the reasons most people here at TFP do not use 3" tab chlorinators.

The main reason to use a VS pump is so that you can run slow most of time and only increase the speed for specific situations, like when running a water powered pool cleaner or water feature. At slow speeds there is just not enough flow to dissolve the tablets.

About the only option you have to run faster, or longer, or use another form of chlorination, such as a Saltwater system, Stenner injection system, or manual dosing.

For reference.. I run my IntelliFlo, 24/7 mostly at 1200 rpm for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.