Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool Details
17k, 6 returns/1 bubbler, SWG, Inteliflo VSP. North Texas with 100° F for a month and a half.
I had been running my pool fast at 3000 RPM for about 12-14 hrs a day with SWG at 65%. Then I got my electric bill.
I'm experimenting with speed, SWG settings, and run time to hopefully maintain 3-4 FC with minimal chlorine supplement.
Currently I'm at 1700 RPM with SWG at 90% for 11 hrs/day. This is not maintaining my FC very well but I do need to bump my CYA because it is at 40 and TA is at 110.
I'm seeing champagne bubbles out of 2 of the closest returns. Searching on the forum it seems this is unavoidable as it is due to the SWG. Is this OK?
The pressure gauge on the cartridge filter housing barely registers anything. When running the pump fast it would hover around 10 to 12 psi.
Do I need to pick the pace up a bit to build more pressure?

I know i've seen some of you say you run your pump really low. Just curious to what others are doing.

I had been running my pool fast at 3000 RPM for about 12-14 hrs a day
jp,

That is insane!! Why?

You want low filter pressure not high filter pressure. Filter pressure is a measure of how hard it is for the pump to push water through the filter.

I run my pump at 1200 RPM and that is plenty to run my SWCG and to skim my pool. My filter pressure is about 1 lb. But I have a large cartridge filter and no heater.

I am also in the DFW area and run my pump 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month. I have an old VS pump, newer ones are even more cost effective.

More pump speed does not increase the amount of chlorine that the cell can make. It is either on or off.

There is a huge difference in the amount of FC a pool will consume between an having a CYA level of 40 and 70.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim for the info. To answer your first question, the pool maintenance people that started up our new pool said don't run it below 2750. Maybe he intended that to be for the 1st month before the salt transition, but he didn't specify.
Now to run the 2 scuppers, and the bubbler I do have to turn the pump up, but I rarely have the scuppers. So you run 24/7?
I've noticed some gnats and some leaves in the pool that won't make it to the skimmer with the pump down low. So I need to adjust the returns to get rid of some dead areas.
Do you get champagne bubbles as well?

I will be adding some stabilizer when I clean the filters this weekend. So are you adding chlorine any in this hot weather or is 24/7 run time taking care of that?

I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to $6/month in electricity.

I had been running my pool fast at 3000 RPM for about 12-14 hrs a day
That defeats the point of having an excellent VSP. Run your pump as slow as possible while still achieving its purpose.

with minimal chlorine supplement.
What SWG do you have?

I'm experimenting with speed, SWG settings, and run time
Speed doesn't matter to the SWG as long as the flow switch is closed. SWG % and run time effects can be estimated in PoolMath --> "Effects of Adding" --> SWG

I do need to bump my CYA
I think you'll find lower FC demand with a higher CYA level.

TA is at 110.
That's fine, and the least of your concerns. It will come down with MA additions as you manage pH.

I'm seeing champagne bubbles out of 2 of the closest returns.
That's normal when the cell is generating chlorine.

So you run 24/7?
Yes, I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. It only costs a few dollars a month.

Thank you pjt for your information. I guess I'll be adjusting my pump speed and run it all day. I was thinking 1500 rpm was getting to low till now. But going down to 1000-1200 makes sense if running 24/7. I was estimating a turnover and a half for the pool in a 11-12 hr period. But going 24/7 with SWG going all the time should do better in the summer.

Do you guys always clean the filters before adding CYA? I've been adding it through the skimmer.

jp,

CYA is NOT added through the skimmer, and there is just no reason to clean your filter before adding CYA. You add CYA by putting it in an old sock (I use ladies' knee-high stockings) and hanging it in front of a running return.

I have a large cartridge filter and only clean it twice a year. I could actually go all year, but I like doing it twice a year.

The idea that you have to "Turnover" X amount of water per day is just total Bull Feathers and just not true. We believe in science and not myths, so we only run our pumps for a reason. :mrgreen:

Please show us a pic of your equipment pad or fill out your pool's signature so we all know what equipment you have. See my signature below this post.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jimrahbe. The reason I mentioned that about the stabilizer because it says to put in the skimmer or pour it in and to have a clean filter.
I've seen the sock method mentioned before. I'll give it shot.

So I've been running my pump at 1200 rpm, it's been working pretty well. Hardly registers pressure in the cartridge filter and skimming is still happening, much slower but it is working. THANKS for the advice. I didn't know that low of speed was an option.
So my FC is down to around 2.5, what are ya'll running your SWG at?
Now I'm in the process of raising my CYA and lowering my TA, they are 35ish and 110 respectively. I'm hoping I can keep the FC between 3 & 4 when I get these in check.
Does a regular sock work ok at distributing the CYA. I have 1 lb in this the sock rigged up to a small donut.

Attachments

• cya-sock.jpg
    cya-sock.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 6
So my FC is down to around 2.5, what are ya'll running your SWG at?

jp,

In my mind it is silly to run the pump and not generate chlorine. This is why I always recommend that the lowest speed you ever use is fast enough to turn on your SWCG.

My SWCG works just fine at 1200 RPM. If it did not, I would increase the speed until the SWCG's flow light just turned green and then add 100 RPM, just to make sure. That would be my normal run speed.

I regular sock will work for CYA, but I have found that ladies knee-high stockings work best for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'll check and see how low of pump speed the SWG will allow. But I'm certainly enjoying the low wattage of running low speed. I'm running the SWG at 65%. I'm going to bump that up some to get the FC up. But I'm working on getting my CYA right and TA reduced now as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.