Pump seal leak

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
I noticed I was losing more water in the pool than I should be. A couple of weeks ago I dropped 3 inches while away on vacation. Getting a bit worried as I am scheduled to close my pool this Thursday, and the last thing I want to do is close until I find the source of the leak. Did the bucket test and its not evaporation. I noticed the equipment pad has a puddle on it when the filter starts and gets prime. Pool company says more than likely that is the source of the leak and its a pump seal that needs replacement. My concern is that the puddle is not very big at all compared to the amount of water being lost. I also only see the puddle when the pump is getting prime. Once the speed slows down the water stops coming out and the pad is dry. I have tried doing some tests such as turning off all the pumps and see if the water still is being lost, but we keep getting rain at night. I was losing about 1/4 to 1/2 a day before I found the water on the pump pad.. Pumps have been off for a few days, but again, we are getting rain so its hard to tell, and I needed to run and circulate my water over the weekend to prep for closing so pumps were on a while yesterday. Should I not have more than just a puddle on the pad if its a pump seal? I would think it would be a constant drip if it the cause was coming from there. I will have the seal fixed for sure, but would a bad seal cause the water to leak elsewhere as well? My biggest concern is a leak in the liner. I don't want to open in the spring to a empty pool.

I doubt that much of a seal leak would be a significant loss. It is wise to fix it soon as it will lead to bearing failure in your motor.

If you did not pass the bucket test, you have a leak somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.