Pump Schedule

Apr 4, 2018
mass
So I have been running 2k RPM for 12 hours a day, and I was thinking of changing it to 24/7 running at 1500rpm, any need or specific reasons why I should? I know there are 2 factors that may need to run at a specific flow which is my heater and IC40. What I have setup seems to meet the needs for those 2 components. I will be shutting of my heater soon as the weather will be warming up here.

You can most likely keep your pool clear by running the pump far less than the 12 hours.

Check this article out: Determine Pump Run Time: Studies have shown that a typical pool really only needs about 4 hours of run time for proper chlorination...

Personal note: Last year I ran my pump from 1-8 pm and whenever it was in use.

P,

To just keep a pool clear you do not "need" to run your pump 24/7, but other than electoral costs it does not matter if you do...

I run my pool 24/7 at 1200 rpm about 90% of the time. It takes 1100 to close my SWCG's flow switch and I add 100 rpm just to make sure... I don't have a heater, so 1500 for your pool, sounds about right to me.

The reason that I run my pump 24/7 is because I like the idea that I'm generating a little chlorine all the time and I can set my SWCG to a lower output.. Is it better than running at 100% output for a shorter amount of time? I doubt it, it is just something that I like to do. I also like that my pump does not have to go through a prime cycle every day and that it makes my EasyTouch scheduling simpler.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim,

I am running my swcg at 40%, im trying to keep just enough chlorine and have more the salt feel, I will normally set it higher if i have a party. This is my first pool and i am trying to understand it. I do like the idea of not priming and just have it run a lower rpms everday, unless i want more flow for the kids and etc..

P,

You can run your FC at whatever level works for you, but you need to make sure that you always stay above the minimum for your CYA level... See this chart.... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

It won't matter what your water feels like, if it is green.. :p

I run my FC at about 6 ppm and I get plenty of salt feel... you can't smell or feel the chlorine at all...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I am a newbie, i need to learn all this fc/cya stuff. its going to take me time

I run mine at 1200 most of the time. I'll raise it when I added Cl, vacuum, or filter the Spa. I have to do the spa on its own as it's a spillover and won't spillover at the lower speed, thus won't filter.

My electric bill is about $70.00 less running it 24/7 than when I had the Hayward Superpump running six hours a day.

Even when I ran it on the highest setting a few hours ever day post hurricane (it was a mess), it was still cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.