Pump, Salt generator and 120V UV wiring with Easytouch 8 Panel

Rjocampo99

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2021
Los Angeles
Hi, I am having a problem wiring my Aqua Ultraviolet 40 Watt UV light, 120V to my relay that has an Intelliflo VS 240V, 16A and Intellichlor 240V 7.5A.
I have a 40A GFC breaker that I am using for the pump. I am using a 120V outlet (non GFCI) that I will be plugging in the UV unit, 120V, 0.48A. So far I do see that I am getting 120V to the outlet. BUT when I plug in a standard power drill (to test) the breaker trips. I have one wire (black) from the outlet wired to one leg on the relay and the other wire (white) connected to the common bar in the panel. I don't want to plug in the UV unit until I know I won't burn my bulb. Please let me know if anyone has a UV set up and how you wired it.

Thank you,

If you have an IntelliFlo pump it should have a 20 amp GFCI breaker and nothing else except a SWCG should be on the same line. The Pump should get constant AC power..

Are you using the same 40 amp GFCI breaker to power a standard outlet on the side of the EasyTouch? Well duh.. you can't steal power from one side of a GFCI breaker.. The white wire from the outlet that you have going to the neutral bus needs to go the neutral connection on the 40 amp GFCI breaker.

Are you doing this for a customer or yourself??

If I were wiring this, I would have a 240 VAC 20 amp GFCI for the IntelliFlo. And a 15 or 20 amp standard breaker that was connected to an Aux relay and then to a GFCI Outlet.

Being cheap is not always the best way to do things..

As a side note, you won't find anyone here who recommends wasting money on a UV system that you really can't tell if it is working or not. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
Show us the entire panel, not just the top half.

A 40 amp CB is incorrect when using 12 gauge wiring. The wiring must be able to carry the maximum load of the CB. 40 amps requires use of 10 gauge wire.

You should be using 20 amp or 15 amp CBs with 12 gauge wires.

You should return the UV if you can. But if you want to keep it, the good news is that it won't hurt. And whether you power it on or off it does pretty much the same thing so you may as well save electric and keep it turned off.

I IntelliFlo is supposed to get constant 240 VAC power. It is never supposed to be controlled by the pump/filter relay.. That would be OK for a single speed pump only.

The IntelliFlo is controlled by the RS-485 cable..

The good news is that the Pump/Filter relay only closes when the IntelliFlo is supposed to be running and when in either the Pool mode or Spa mode.

Wire the IntelliFlo to constant AC power and use the load side of the Pump/filter relay to power the SWCG and your UV system. Keep in mind that the pump/filter relay is currently set up for 240 VAC.. So you will have to either power your UV off of 240 VAC or rewire wire the SWCG transformer for 120 VAC.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.