Pump Run Time :)

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So I have my system up and running...
I have the Pentair 3HP variable speed pump... My pool is roughly 12,000 gallons.
The manual says it can do 20-140 GPM. Thats a pretty crazy range.
But lets assume 20 on the lowest setting (1-4)
Thats 1200 GPH so in this scenario am I right in thinking it would need 10 hours of run time in a day to filter one full pool cycle?

Right now since the PB set it up and its not running the SWG yet its just on 24/7 (ive turned it to speed 1 to save some cost).

Does this seem realistic? or would you guys run it at speed 2 (perhaps 60gpm) and only run it say 4 hours a day?

Its a little confusing to me to figure out what I need to be doing in this case.
thanks

Turnover is a myth. Water chemistry keeps the pool clear. The filter removes stuff that falls in the pool.

A variable speed pump is all about the options. Your pool system defines the need and your pump supplies the power for the time required. The pool needs will be skimming (water filtration) and also may include water features, pool sweeper, chlorine generation, water heating, etc. So you dial in your VS pump to fit your systems needs. This ensures optimum performance and maximum power savings.

Turnover is a myth. Water chemistry keeps the pool clear. The filter removes stuff that falls in the pool.
Good point... Luckily I dont have a lot of debris getting in the pool. No big trees around. not a lot of other stuff coming in... So I guess it will depend on how much run time I need to get the SWG to operate to get the right amount of sanitizer in the water.

Is there any issues (besides cost) of running the pump 24/7 .? my PB has the same system I do and runs his pump on level 3 24/7. Ive calculated the costs in my area to only be about 25$ a month, so outside of cost is there any reason not to just run the thing?

What speed is "Level 3"???

There is little reason to run the pump faster than it takes to turn the SWCG's flow switch on, plus 100 or 200 RPM...

But, as always, if it work for you that is all that matters..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ill check in a little bit when I go down to turn on the heater ... Might it be better to run on 3 so the skimmer pulls debris (right now cottonwoods) better? just a thought... 90% of the summer with no cotton it wont be an issue either way

My pump on speed three at the variable low end is 2450 RPM which doesnt have any problem (as you would expect). im not going to mess with anything Until my cover goes on :) then ill balance the water, keep the heather/cooler on etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.