Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
We’ve just installed a VSP (Intelliflo) and have decided to switch from a side suction vacuum to a Dolphin robot. Question is, our old plan was to run our pump at 3050 for 4 hours for cleaning and then run it at 1850 for 5 hours for circulation. However, now that we’re using the robot, is there any reason not just run it longer at a lower speed? Also, is there any reason that we shouldn’t run the pump while our robot is cleaning? TIA

Hey Pepper !! The pump can run regardless of what the robot is doing and vice versa. Figure out the lowest RPM that you need to skim well and use that as your new speed. For reference I used 1200 RPM and only needed about 12 hours to skim/filter. @ 120 watts it was so cheap to do that I just ran it 24/7. I probably could have ran even slower but my SWG needed the 1200 RPMs.

I run mine 800 rpm now 24/7 (still testing the best to skim) and run 1600 for SWG for the 2 to 6 hours it needs... :)

Pepper,

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it as slow as you can to save on the electrical bill..

You want to run it long enough to generate the chlorine you need if using a SWCG or tab feeder
You want to run it long enough to skim your pool the way you want.
You want to run it long enough for circulation, which should be covered by the above two requirements.

Just want to make sure you are not running the pump to meet some "turnover" requirement. Having to Turnover your pool water X times a day is a myth, and just not required.

I personally run my pool 24/7 at 1200 rpm most of the time. This is mainly because I like generating a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time. Others here run their pump for as little as 2 hours a day.. There is no right answer, it is all about how you want to run your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a 2-speed pump/motor (not a VSP) and I found that once I replaced my suction side cleaner with a robot, I am able to run the pump at lower speeds longer. This is because my suction side cleaner wouldn't move very fast at low speed. I love the ability to vacuum the pool with or without the pump running, not to mention the robot does a MUCH better job.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.