Pump replacement

joalepins

May 11, 2022
Quebec, Canada
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and also new pool owner (installed right before last fall).

I have a 14X26 inground with a Hayward salt system and Hayward filtration system.

I replaced the pump that came with the pool (Hayward Super Pump 700) with a Pentair SuperFlo VS mainly because of the noise and also to reduce the electricity bills.

I had to change some of the plumbing when replacing the pump so I also added a FlowVis flow meter.

The trouble I have now that I didn't have last year is that when I go and vacuum the pool I can't do it for a long time because the pump seems to fill with air pretty quickly so I don't have much suction left after only a couple of minutes.

I fill my vacuum hose before doing it so there's no air in it.

When I go and check the pump, there's only a bit of water in it, like not even half the basket full.

I then stop the pump to empty the debris but the water seems to get even lower and I can hear air bubbles.

When I close the cover and start the pump, it's super long (couple minutes) before the motor primes the system.

I tried to backwash and rinse a couple of times (seems to fix the problem) but then it does the same thing the next time I vacuum.

I don't know what's going on and it's getting frustating.

Can it be the FlowVis meter that's causing trouble since it's also acting as a check valve ?

IMG_7477 (1).jpg

Piping from the flow meter goes into the heat pump.

Bubbling sound :

Priming of the pump :

Pump when vacuuming :

Thank you !

Jo

Air is getting into your system. This is why the pump fills with air, and then the pump loses prime because there's too much air. Once there's a lot of air in your lines, it can take a while to restore prime.

Maybe your vacuum hose has a hole in it? Sometimes, when my water level is little low, I don't get a good seal between the vacuum hose and the skimmer basket and it sucks in air.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Did I understands you correctly saying that mid-way though the vacuum process, you stop things to clear the filter (or pump strainer)? If so, that will definably add lots of air making it slow to restart/prime. I try to just vacuum everything in one shot. If I have to stop, I'll disconnect my vacuum hose and re-prime the pump, then re-connect the hose.

Air is getting into your system. This is why the pump fills with air, and then the pump loses prime because there's too much air. Once there's a lot of air in your lines, it can take a while to restore prime.

Maybe your vacuum hose has a hole in it? Sometimes, when my water level is little low, I don't get a good seal between the vacuum hose and the skimmer basket and it sucks in air.

The hose is brand new and I didn't have any problems with it last year (used it for a month maybe).

The seal is good aroung the skimmer basket as I can't pull it out from the hole.

But while in the process of vacuuming the seal at the skimmer basket is still there but it's not sucking all the dirt at the bottom on the pool anymore so that's why I stop the pump.

And that's when I notice that the motor is almost out of water.

So I wash the basket, prime the pump again and start all the vacuuming process again ...

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Did I understands you correctly saying that mid-way though the vacuum process, you stop things to clear the filter (or pump strainer)? If so, that will definably add lots of air making it slow to restart/prime. I try to just vacuum everything in one shot. If I have to stop, I'll disconnect my vacuum hose and re-prime the pump, then re-connect the hose.
No I stop because it's not sucking any more dirt from the bottom of the pool.

I have just spoken with my pool tech and apparently I need to keep the bottom drain open at about 50% when vacuuming and when I empty the pump, I have to close both valves (skimmer and bottom drain) before opening the basket cover.

Then start the motor and open both valves at about 25% until it fills with enough water and then open them all the way.

Guess I'll have to try that tonight when I get back home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. If you don't, all the water will pour out of the filter and lines out of the pump pot.
So I went home yesterday and did close both valves before opening the cover and the water stills drains from the pump and makes bubbling sounds ... To be honnest I don't even know where the water is going ?!? It can't go up the pipe into the filter ? Like if the water would go back into the pump and overflow the basket outside of the pump, that would make sense, but it doesn't ...

It is possible for the water to run up the pipe into the filter if a siphon is created by water running from our filter into your pool through the returns. It might also be your intake valves before are leaking and the water is running back into the pool that way. I have to close both the intake valves and the filter's multi-port valve (to stop the siphon) to keep water in the pump basket with the pump's cover off.

It is possible for the water to run up the pipe into the filter if a siphon is created by water running from our filter into your pool through the returns. It might also be your intake valves before are leaking and the water is running back into the pool that way. I have to close both the intake valves and the filter's multi-port valve (to stop the siphon) to keep water in the pump basket with the pump's cover off.

So I should stop the pump, close both valves from bottom drain and skimmer and also put the filter's top valve to the Closed position ? Then wash the basket, rinse it, put it back, close the lid and then put the top valve back to Filtration. Start the pump and then open both valves ?

Speaking from experience, make sure to open all the valves before you turn your pump back on :D.

Note, depending on your plumbing and valve health, water may still run out of your pipes when the valves are closed and you're emptying the basket. You shouldn't lose any water if all your valves are good, but time, water, chlorine and weather is an evil mistress. If so, your pump may fill up with air and lose prime after restarting it. To avoid this, you should slowly open the intake valves, one at a time, after you turn on the pump. That is, open all the return and multi-port valves, then partially open one input valve, turn on the pump, then slowly open the partially open valve all the way, watching how much air gets into the pump so too much air doesn't enter the pump and you lose prime. Repeat with the other input valves. If your filter has an air relief valve open it to release any air in your filter after all the valves are open and the pump is running with its basket full of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.