Gold Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Walnut, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP family,
I have a old Magnatek Century Centurion B124, 220V, FR M56C, 2HP, RPM 3450 that finally died on the hottest weekend in SoCal. It pops the breaker as soon as I turn it on.
At first I was thinking of keeping the pump portion and changing the motor with the Century VGreen variable but then that also probably 30-35 years old as the motor is.
I assume plumbing in the PVC and a few unions would be what I need. Looking for a couple of other recommendations VS for a DIY project.
Reasonable priced but not the cheapest lowerend version and where to buy.
Thank you

You will need a large hp VS to run the in floor cleaner.
So an Intelliflo3 is the gold standard. ~$1800 delivered. WiFi control

Or a Calimar 2.7 hp. About $600 delivered. I believe from Pool Supply Unlimited has been the recent source.
Not much in between.

Thank you for the fast reply. Calimar is more in the range I was looking for.
I did a search here and one post says its the same as BT and B&D but with better-longer warranty? More expensive though.
Suggested to purchase the extended warranty.

Reactions: mknauss
As of last year, they have/had the main warehouse @1426 E Spruce St, Ontario, CA 91761. Doing some googling, not sure they're still there. Confirm with the vendor. Either way, still a great value on the pump.

Got another question.
I'm now looking at the Pentair Intelliflo VSF.
wife says get the better one.
I see two options. Do I need the touch screen or without (Cheaper) and use the app?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
o,

I do not have an IntelliFlo3, but if I did, I doubt I'd get the display. I'd just use the app.

I say this as I have three pools and they all have EasyTouch systems. I've had them about 10 years and in all that time I don't think I've ever had to use the pump's controls. The app will remotely control the pump, the same way that the EasyTouch controls the pump.

My point is... unless you have some specific reason that you want to have a display, I see it as a waste of money.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I got the intelliflo3 without the screen, saved around 300. That is large compare to my old pump. It didnt fit in the exact same location so I had to angle it away from the heater plumbing. Now I need to extend the power cable and the ground another foot or so. I read the ground should be min 8GA. What would the power wire gauge be? This would be duplication the existing 220V. Looking at Liquidtight duct with wire included just want to make sure I get the correct gauge

A guide will probably be along but in the meantime whats is the breaker size your motor wired to?

Electrical current is measured as ampacity. As a guide, #14 wire is good for 15 amps, #12 wire is good for 20 amps, #10 wire is good for 30 amps. As the number gets smaller, the size of the wire gets larger and the amount of amps it can handle also gets larger.Feb 27, 2022

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.