Pump replacement for AGP

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have been researching for weeks, trying to determine the best option for replacing our 1HP/2 Spd pump that died last year. We never used the low speed because it wouldn't generate enough flow for our chlorinator. Our electrical supply is 115v, so I can't really go with a variable speed pump. Would a 1-1/2 HP/2spd pump help to generate more flow on low speed? Our sand filter is a 26", capable of 75 GPM. Any suggestions? I really want to get this decision made and open the pool!

Attachments

• PoolSetup.JPG
    PoolSetup.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: splashpad
The Pentair Superflo VS will connect to 115V.

Call InyoPools and see what they might recommend.

Inyo Pools said: With the size of your pool, you will need the 1.5HP unit. For AGP, it is rare to see a variable speed unit

Do ya'll agree with me going up to 1-1/2HP? I'm looking at the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1-1/2, 2-spd.

I don't really have a brand preference and I'd prefer not to pay over $400.

Sounds like you got good advice.

In 2021, all new pool pump motors over 1.1 hp will be variable speed. Per Federal regulation. So their statement will change then.

Hello Afreil - I was communicating back and forth with you. You must have spoken to another Inyo rep as well as me. The one I ended up recommending was the Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-24. That's a 1HP 115v 2-speed pump.

I couldn't find a low speed power curve for the 1.5HP 2-speed Hayward Power-flo Matrix. It will probably produce 25 gpm on low speed but I'm not 100%.

Like mknauss said, The Pentair Superflo VS is a good option. But that one is outside your desired price range.

Do you still have your old pump? Look at the amps on low speed and see if there is a 1 hp pump with more amps on low speed. Now it's not certain because amps(and hp) does not say how much flow or pressure it can do.

The better thing is to look at the flow chart of your old pump on low and try to find a flow chart of a new pump on low that is more flow.

Note that a 1 hp pump on high and a 1 hp pump on high with more gpm with have less pressure. If you want more gpm and pressure on high you need more hp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.