Pump Replacement Advice

ghotihook

Jul 2, 2020
Dayton, OH
My pool pump is getting louder and louder and I think needs replacement. It is probably the motor making the noise so I might be able to get away with just replacing the motor, but I'm leaning towards replacing the whole pump. I suspect the pump is pretty old and has had at least one replacement motor already. The problem I have is the pump model number is no longer legible and I don't know exactly which pump to get as a replacement. I am including some pictures in hopes that someone can help me identify which pump I have so I can just purchase an exact replacement. I think it is a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP, however when I look at buying that pump it is listed as having 2" ports and my plumbing is 1.5". Is it possible my current pump is still the 1 HP Super Pump but the current 1 HP Super Pump has changed to 2" ports? I'd appreciate any help with deciding which replacement pump to purchase. I'm comfortable doing a little bit of plumbing work, but I would like to avoid a major reconfiguration job which is why I'd like to replace with a same/similar pump.

Thanks,
Loris

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_175157.jpg
    IMG_20200324_175157.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220807_183047457.jpg
    PXL_20220807_183047457.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220807_183057725.jpg
    PXL_20220807_183057725.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220807_183111842.jpg
    PXL_20220807_183111842.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 17
I replaced a 1.5HP super pump and 1.5” plumbing with the 2.7 HP Tristar VS and used reducers.
They aren’t cheap ( nothing is anymore ) it if it’s in the budget get a variable speed pump. Not only save a lot on power but so much quieter then old style pumps.

My pool pump is getting louder and louder and I think needs replacement. It is probably the motor making the noise so I might be able to get away with just replacing the motor, but I'm leaning towards replacing the whole pump. I suspect the pump is pretty old and has had at least one replacement motor already. The problem I have is the pump model number is no longer legible and I don't know exactly which pump to get as a replacement. I am including some pictures in hopes that someone can help me identify which pump I have so I can just purchase an exact replacement. I think it is a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP, however when I look at buying that pump it is listed as having 2" ports and my plumbing is 1.5". Is it possible my current pump is still the 1 HP Super Pump but the current 1 HP Super Pump has changed to 2" ports? I'd appreciate any help with deciding which replacement pump to purchase. I'm comfortable doing a little bit of plumbing work, but I would like to avoid a major reconfiguration job which is why I'd like to replace with a same/similar pump.

Thanks,
Loris
For 99% of all noise issues it is the motor. An ECM16CU, Century V-Green 1.65 variable-speed motor will bolt to that pump and use your existing time clock. Virtually all pumps are now 2" in and out. If you are happy with the performance of your pump now you would be happy with the V-Green. It would be good to replumb the outlet of the pump (and inlet if possible) with some hi-temp pump unions. The pipe adapter threaded into the outlet has been threaded too far. Someone has attempted a leak repair, but it will start again.

For 99% of all noise issues it is the motor. An ECM16CU, Century V-Green 1.65 variable-speed motor will bolt to that pump and use your existing time clock. Virtually all pumps are now 2" in and out. If you are happy with the performance of your pump now you would be happy with the V-Green. It would be good to replumb the outlet of the pump (and inlet if possible) with some hi-temp pump unions. The pipe adapter threaded into the outlet has been threaded too far. Someone has attempted a leak repair, but it will start again.
Thanks for the recommendation. The Century V-Green 1.65 VS motor does look like a great upgrade option for my existing pump. Can you confirm my assumption that my existing pump is in fact a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP?

Thanks for the recommendation. The Century V-Green 1.65 VS motor does look like a great upgrade option for my existing pump. Can you confirm my assumption that my existing pump is in fact a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP?
Smart question. Based on the thp of that replacement motor, yes. Its on the rating plate (label). That is the same as the V-Green 165. You would need the number on the impeller to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.