strategy400

Jun 6, 2013
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So it looks like I can control my pump 8 speeds with 3 relays. Diagrams I've seen for Hayward vs950 show a 24 vac power required and a requirement "connection wire must be rated 300v". I'm pretty sure I need 4 conductor. Where best can I obtain this mystery wire for a peasant's fee? I really don't want a 500 foot roll. Any info is appreciated and feel free to be verbose.

Reactions: proavia
So it looks like I can control my pump 8 speeds with 3 relays. Diagrams I've seen for Hayward vs950 show a 24 vac power required and a requirement "connection wire must be rated 300v". I'm pretty sure I need 4 conductor. Where best can I obtain this mystery wire for a peasant's fee? I really don't want a 500 foot roll. Any info is appreciated and feel free to be verbose.
You can use the output from the pump itself as the power source. Not likely you would ever need more than 3 speeds. most likely only two would suffice. Twenty-two gauge sprinkler wire works well for that application. Easy to get at any hardware store. Pages 16 and 17 of the manual explain the connections and set up.

Reactions: JamesW
You can use the output from the pump itself as the power source. Not likely you would ever need more than 3 speeds. most likely only two would suffice. Twenty-two gauge sprinkler wire works well for that application. Easy to get at any hardware store. Pages 16 and 17 of the manual explain the connections and set up.

I've found that I use 4 speeds when manually selecting from the pump (low filter, clean, high filter, spa), so I figure 8 should be all I'd ever need. I could probably get away with 2 relays/4speeds. I still want the 4 conductor wire available to keep my options open. I also notice in the manual that the power supply appears to be external ("low voltage supply")? Please let me know if I'm missing something.
Also, I'm using the sonoff 4CH pro R3 for switching. Can I use those 10A relays directly or do I need some contactors or something?
1679498410382.png

I've found that I use 4 speeds when manually selecting from the pump (low filter, clean, high filter, spa), so I figure 8 should be all I'd ever need. I could probably get away with 2 relays/4speeds. I still want the 4 conductor wire available to keep my options open. I also notice in the manual that the power supply appears to be external ("low voltage supply")? Please let me know if I'm missing something.
Also, I'm using the sonoff 4CH pro R3 for switching. Can I use those 10A relays directly or do I need some contactors or something?
View attachment 478269
Dry contact relays in the Sonoff are fine. The +12V and COM on the RS485 terminal in the diagram are supposed to be able to be used as the power supply.

Reactions: strategy400
Not sure if that is my model. They have 2 versions I believe, mine has the control panel on the drive. There is one that didn't have that that is strictly for remote control, if I'm not mistaken. I can't get the cover off to look because mongo the pump installer used his power tool and spun the bolt/nut in the plastic housing. Now when I try to remove the screw it just spins forever.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hayward_Pump_Tag.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.