Pump recommendations

chicagonyc

Jun 14, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi everyone.

So I think it's time to replace the dinky 1000 GPH included pump for my 15x48 AGP. My pool is "a little" to "moderately" cloudy pretty much all the time. When we first got it, it was beautifully clear all the time; no longer. Here's what it looks like today (overhead shot):

pool overhead 080920.jpg

After not changing the filter for the first three weeks of ownership, I am now changing the filter sometimes daily, sometimes every couple of days. I run the pump now 24x7.

I have a pool sock over one return; it turns dirty after a single day. When I brush the floor with a pool broom, you can see plumes of particulates. When I use my Intex portable vacuum I do capture a good amount of particulate, but I also see plumes coming out of the vacuum vents. So at least some of the particulates on the floor of the pool are being sent into the pool itself. Incidently, after coming home after a 3 day vacation, the pool was perfectly clear, but the floor of the pool was just filthy with dirt and debris.

It's possible the location of the pool is to blame; I place it below the shade of some really tall trees. The branches I can reach I cut down, but there's a lot more vertically. The nice thing is the shade, but I do get a fair amount of falling leaves and twigs and such (which I skim daily).

BTW I just got the TFT-100 test kit for more precision, but I've been using the Home Depot test kit pretty strictly, and I haven't really let FC levels drop below 5. CYA levels are around 50. I use the Home Depot HDX chlorinating liquid.

After reading a lot of posts, and watching a bunch of videos, I know I have to move to a sand filter pump (I'm looking at the Intex ones) but I still have a number of questions:
  • How necessary is the cutting of the vinyl liner to create 1.5" holes?
  • If I chose not to cut the liner, what adapters do I need to purchase in addition to the pump?
  • How big of a pump should I get? Is 2100 GPH enough, or do I need to go to 2800?
Most importantly,
  • Will the sand pump help me clarify my almost-never-clear pool?
Thank you!

I have the 15x42 in intex pool.
We upgraded to the 14” sand pump. Intex. The bigger pump the better flow and turnover of water. But the sand won’t kill algae. SLAM process will.

I agree the pump won’t make it clear up the algae. Bleach is your friend. Lots. We slammed our pool and used bleach 10% about 400 fluid Oz. Several day process.

So cloudiness automatically means algae? It can't mean dirt, etc. from nearby trees?

As it happens, I did SLAM the pool over the past several days but I didn't yet have my TFT-100 test kit in hand. Today I did, and the FC level is 44?! I went overboard. Yikes. But at least it will kill anything in the water. Nobody's swimming of course.

Dirt will fall to the bottom of the pool.
You said your CYA is around 50. I see a floater in the pool, does it have trichlor in it? That is adding CYA continuously.

Ok, tell me more!
It appears you have algea and need to SLAM to clear it up.

So cloudiness automatically means algae? It can't mean dirt, etc. from nearby trees?
If you track in a bunch of fine dirt, it can stay suspended and slightly cloud up the water. But you need a constant source of dirt, like people going in and out and stepping in dirt, or similar. Just being under trees won't do it. Mine is right next to/under trees and is crystal clear.

Also, yours definitely has a green tint to it, which screams algea.

As it happens, I did SLAM the pool over the past several days but I didn't yet have my TFT-100 test kit in hand. Today I did, and the FC level is 44?!
This is why we don't recommend starting a SLAM without the test kit on hand. Just keep an eye on it and wait for it to come back down to SLAM level before adding more chlorine.

We haven't used the pool in more than a week, so no there isn't a human source of dirt.

Here's what the pool looked like today. It was much clearer then yesterday.

pool overhead 081020 (Small).jpg

But here's a closeup. You can see the particulate matter on the ground that I was writing about. Is this dead algae? Dirt? What?

pool closeup 081020 (Small).jpg

And when I brush the floor or vacuum it with my rechargeable Intex one, the particulate matter on the floor will make the water cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, that's helpful. What I thought was dirt/tree pollen is actually dead algae.

But what to do about it? Are pool pumps sufficient to get rid of this dreck? Because it appears to be too fine for my vacuum to get successfully and it doesn't really move with the motion of the 1000 gph pump which looks like it really only operates at the top of the pool.

First you need to follow the SLAM Process to eradicate the algae. You do need a vacuum of some sort to pull it into the filter. Get a swirl going in the pool and the material will settle in the center. Then vac it up.

Agree the weaker pump is not going to move the debris and dead algae at the bottom.
Our large pump 2800 gph did an ok job but no the best.
slamming the pool, vacuuming (intex vacuum), a lot brushing several times a day to get the algae off the bottom to get filtered.

alternatively you could get in the pool and using your net get the dead algae with the net. We did that after the water was clearing.

this is what our pool looked
Like before and after the slam4359E7F6-1B6F-4E98-95AA-16C8B74A6712.jpeg

1FFBABB0-279F-44E7-8C63-CB2E2CE2D038.jpeg

you can also vacuum and send the water out the pool.. do not connect your vacuum to the pump, submerge the vacuum and hose under water and throw the end ever the side of the pool and it will start sucking the gunk out.. once done you will need to fill the pool back up... :)

Thanks for the super helpful response! And with pictures to motivate me! :)

That's kind of disappointing that the 2800 gph doesn't by itself get rid of the gunk! But it seems like as long as I work to get it off the bottom, the pump will eventually get some of it out.

What kind of Intex vacuum do you have? The rechargeable one, like mine?

And what do you mean by using a "net"?

Agree the weaker pump is not going to move the debris and dead algae at the bottom.
slamming the pool, vacuuming (intex vacuum), a lot brushing several times a day to get the algae off the bottom to get filtered.

alternatively you could get in the pool and using your net get the dead algae with the net. We did that after the water was clearing.

My vacuum is rechargeable so it's not connected to a pump (also the 1000 gph included pump probably couldn't generate any suction anyway).

But I did jury-rig a version of this idea. I have a pool cover pump. I lowered it to the bottom of the pool and started it up. Then it actually looked like it was sucking up some of the gunk at the bottom! I only had an hour or two before the end of the day (have to do everything after 7pm due to Texas summer day heat :) but it seemed like a promising tool, too.

you can also vacuum and send the water out the pool.. do not connect your vacuum to the pump, submerge the vacuum and hose under water and throw the end ever the side of the pool and it will start sucking the gunk out.. once done you will need to fill the pool back up... :)

By the way, I noticed in your picture it looks like you used zip ties to tie the hoses to the pool. I think that's because you're using an adapter from 1.5 inch hoses to the 1.25 inch holes in your pool? On Youtube videos I saw that those adapters and hoses are very heavy and look like they're falling down. Did you attach ties to hold them up? And what do you think about cutting into the vinyl like posts here and those videos advise?

Yup. I've been doing so. The pump is going 24/7 but I'm waiting for the FC to drop down into the SLAM range (18) before I continue adding more.

Can you tell me more about "getting the swirl going"? Do you mean brushing the dead algae particulate, getting it pluming around in the water?

First you need to follow the SLAM Process to eradicate the algae. You do need a vacuum of some sort to pull it into the filter. Get a swirl going in the pool and the material will settle in the center. Then vac it up.

Can you tell me more about "getting the swirl going"? Do you mean brushing the dead algae particulate, getting it pluming around in the water?

Direct the return jet at about a 45 degree angle away from the swimmer and down about 45 degrees. It will cause the water circle around the pool while also circulating the water vertically.

Kind of like a giant toilet flushing!! 😀

Can you tell me more about "getting the swirl going"?
If you use a brush or broom or your self, and walk in a circle around the inside of the pool, the water will swirl. Any solid materials will eventually gather in the center of the pool. That makes capturing them (with your cover pump or siphon or vac) much easier. Turn the pool pump off while you are doing this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.