Currently have a Hayward powerflo MatriX SP1516-Z-1-ESC
1.5 HP
3450 RPM
115v
On my 30’ round radiant.

Also has a mechanical timer.

Recommendations for two speed pump?
Do I need a different timer?

At least 2 speed or maybe VS if money permits. If you get a VS they come with their own timer/scheduler so that is a plus. If you are running 10 hrs, the pump will pay for itself very soon. Check your electric company they sometimes have rebates for VS pumps.

Reactions: doc8404
If you just wish to run the pump on low speed via the timer, then you do not need two timers.

To run the pump on high speed, you will need a switch on the motor.

So I can use the same timer I have now, and whichever selection I have selected on the pump (high vs low), that is what it will run at. correct?

and one more: Last year when I looked at pumps, my local installer advised that a low speed (two speed) pump can NOT be used with a sand filter.

Is that true?

At least 2 speed or maybe VS if money permits. If you get a VS they come with their own timer/scheduler so that is a plus. If you are running 10 hrs, the pump will pay for itself very soon. Check your electric company they sometimes have rebates for VS pumps.

I hear you! I like simple.
At 10.9 cents/kwh, seems a dual speed is a good choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I can use the same timer I have now, and whichever selection I have selected on the pump (high vs low), that is what it will run at. correct?

and one more: Last year when I looked at pumps, my local installer advised that a low speed (two speed) pump can NOT be used with a sand filter.

Is that true?
I am not sure about the timer and the hi/lo. Let's ask @ajw22 if he can help us with that one.

As far as low speed and sand filter, the slower your water goes through the filter, the better it filters. You would have to use high speed to back wash most likley, but filtering low speed would be better than you have now.

The 15932S has a manual toggle switch for the 2 speeds. It will run using the timer at whatever speed the toggle switch is set to.

If you need the twist lock power cord you need to order it separately.

Reactions: doc8404 and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.