pump recommendations

schatz

May 15, 2017
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I have a Hayward 2 hp super pump 2 and last evening it stopped working so will need to replace after only 2 years of use. I have 2 questions, what pump do you guys recommend, preferably a direct fit and variable or 2speed pump. and also I have a homemade peristaltic 13 dollar pump that pumps chlorine from my chlorine tank to the inlet side of the pump. Did this cause the pump to fail? If I connected the pump to my Stenner injector after pump it would either backfill my chlorine tank or the fittings would blow apart every now and then. So it just made it easier to introduce the chlorine at the bottom of the pump via 3/8 adapter, but maybe this caused premature failure of my pump ?

I don't have a pump suggestion for you but I would move the chlorine injector to after the filter. Chlorine in concentrated form like you are doing can damage quite a few things in your pump.

Thanks, that is what I suspect happened. Is it better to install the injector right after the pump as I have it, or further down stream maybe after the heater. This might have less problems maybe pressure would be less there, and not as likely to overpower pump and lines ?

So it turns out I have dodged a bullet, I got the pump primed back up and running but I fear I will need a new pump in the near future so if any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Also I plumbed my 13 dollar Amazon pump to a Stenner injector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLCOXFI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and still can only add chlorine before I turn on my main pump. It seems like there is too much pressure in the 2'' pipe right after the pump. I wonder if I should try relocating injection point, maybe after the heater before it goes back to pool. Any advice or thoughts appreciated, thanks.

So it turns out I have dodged a bullet, I got the pump primed back up and running but I fear I will need a new pump in the near future so if any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Also I plumbed my 13 dollar Amazon pump to a Stenner injector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLCOXFI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and still can only add chlorine before I turn on my main pump. It seems like there is too much pressure in the 2'' pipe right after the pump. I wonder if I should try relocating injection point, maybe after the heater before it goes back to pool. Any advice or thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Without knowing more about the peristaltic pump, it would seem that it can not create enough pressure or hold pressure against ~20psig line pressure. It should be injected after all other equipment in your system. Others have used lower power pumps to put chlorine in other ways. Use the search box on the top right to get some ideas and if they would work for you.

Thanks Tealdo24, I have already tried a homemade chlorinator, which was very unreliable and could not dose precisely enough for me. Purchased and tried an L.M.I. pump locally for cheap off of craigslist but would back flow through pump or empty whole tank of chlorine randomly. Which wasn't good, so I have been playing around with this little 13 dollar pump from Amazon for the last 6 months. I mean heck for 13 dollars every six months or so versus 3oo bucks for a Stennar, it seemed like a no brainer. So maybe I will relocate it this weekend and try it further down stream and see if that's better. meanwhile I am injecting chlorine for now when main pump is off, and then turning off injection pump and turning on main pump to circulate chlorine unless anybody thinks I might damage pump or filter or heater by doing it this way? Thanks.

I have relocated my injection point for chlorine to after the equipment, and just broke down and went with a Stenner pump after all. Tired of playing around with different pumps from Amazon. So now am very pleased so far with this little pump, very accurate and no maintenance so far. I now want to replace my Hayward one speed 2 horsepower pump, do you guys recommend a 2 speed or variabale speed. I also would like to change to a Pentair. Can this be done without changeing the plumbing configuration, if so, will then stick with Hayward, although I have read revieiws and posts saying Pentairs are the best. Any ideas or recommmendations are appreciated thanks, I would like to save a trip to Leslies if possible.

Pentair seems to be considered the best. However, they're also more expensive and do break down eventually like everything else. I bought a Jandy variable speed because it required the least plumbing work. It has a stand with various options to adjust the height to match the old pump.

I think every pump uses proprietary unions. My old pump (pentair) was cemented in so the union issue did not apply. Jandy is a reputable brand, and I've had no issues for almost 2 years.

I know that Jandy doesn't warrant VS pumps not professionally installed (for the price of a professional install I can buy 2 pumps) and I think Pentair limits the warranty. I saw a YouTube video of a Hayward spokesman saying they DO warrant DIY installs.

I think they all make reasonable equipment. I think yours is dying early because your pumping chlorine into it. I wouldn't really blame Hayward for this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah. you are probably right about the chlorine injection point. I imagine I might have brought this leak on myself, no Hayward bashing here. I might just have to go with a variable speed Hayward for ease of install, unless anyone else has any input. Thanks and I would never have a professional install so the hayward may be the way to go at this point. I have been a mechanic for too many years to let someone else fix my stuff even if they did fix it properly which would be incredible.

That looks like a fine pump, but I don't know about the size. I replaced my 2hp single speed with a 1.5 VS, but I have 1.5 in plumbing so I figured the 2hp was oversized (and it was).

The nice thing about VS is you can dial it down to a lower RPM so you can buy a bigger pump, but run it at a lower speed. Also, the lower the speed, the more economical so running a bigger pump at 50% is usually cheaper than a smaller pump at 90%... so the only risk in buying a bigger pump is that you've spent more than needed, but you should make some of that back because it should be cheaper to run.

If you run a VS at top speed, you're not saving much.

Is this worth an extra 200? Only you can say...

Thanks for replying, you are probably right about the size and saving on electrical bill. I guess I will see if Amazon has a good deal tomorrow and if not just rebuild the wet end of my old super pump 2 2.0 hp., but really want the variable speed pump to save on electrical and just waiting for an excuse to buy. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.