Pump re-wiring

Steve Bee

Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2018
Ontario Canada
Ok, so I am now getting comfortable with testing and maintaining the pool and honing in on the sweet spot for my SWG, it's time to "automate". The reason for the quotes is because I am talking about a timer for the pump, lol, not a fancy control center. Having a 1.5 HP pump, I've found there is no plug in option and need to go with an Intermatic and hard wire the pump to it.

My brilliant 2 speed pump seems to have no setting to just run on low, just 4 pre-programmed timers that run different ratios of Hi/Low. From what I have pieced together from searching around here is that you can wire your own 3 way switch? Can the Intermatic then run it's own varying programs of Hi/Low? If I do this will I disable the pump's built in timer settings?

I am brave enough to change light fixtures, thermostats and wall sockets at home, but there is where my electrical expertise ends. Would this job require soldering?

Given that I'm a newbie, and this is a brand new pump, I'm hesitant!

Rest assured, next time around I would likely get a more programmable VS pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.