Oct 21, 2017
Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone.
I recent replaced my 1.5hp single speed motor with a new VSD motor.

I continued to use the Hayward TriStar 3200X series pump with a 3210C impeller.

I used the GOKIT as advised by InyoPools and confirmed by my separate online searching.

At low speeds and occasionally at higher speeds I get a light rattling noise. I’ve got a video but unsure how to easily share that here.
Below is a iCloud link to the video.
Note the 8-10 second mark where it’s fairly noticeable. It’s dark outside so you can’t see much.

Last edited:
Put your video on YouTube and post a link to it.

Does the motor have a fan in the rear?

The fans in motors seem to rattle and sometimes rub on the shroud.

Who filmed this Ray Charles?

If you would have done this, and filmed this in the sun light, I wouldn't have to guess. My best guess is your snow cone makers ice tray is rattling. lol

Check for a loose bonding wire, metal on metal, on the outside. Its coming from outside. Its not your shaft seal/inside.

Turn the lights on bud, that will give me something to work with. Its not your shaft seal. It's something outside the motor on you pad I'm sure of it. Feel free to prove me wrong though, take the camera from Ray, then film a video with some kind of daylight in it.

Who filmed this Ray Charles?

If you would have done this, and filmed this in the sun light, I wouldn't have to guess. My best guess is your snow cone makers ice tray is rattling. lol

Check for a loose bonding wire, metal on metal, on the outside. Its coming from outside. Its not your shaft seal/inside.

Turn the lights on bud, that will give me something to work with. Its not your shaft seal. It's something outside the motor on you pad I'm sure of it. Feel free to prove me wrong though, take the camera from Ray, then film a video with some kind of daylight in it.
I’ll make a new one but the motor and pump are not moving at all.

The sound is coming from inside, where the motor and pump housing meet.

All bolts/fasteners are tight.

I’ll get a new one and see if you can see sound in the next one. Do you also hear colors?

"New video posted for those that want to see the sound."

Thank you, now I can see whats not making sound. I've heard that sound before, and I'm trying to remember what we found. I'm not sure but this is going to come down to something very stupid like a lose diffuser screw, or something bouncing around the impeller and diffuser. Some piece of plastic, or metal is clapping together like a washer. It sounds metal. It also sounds just as loud at the fan cover. But if you say it's up front, then that would mean the impellar is rubbing against the diffuser. So a lose diffuser or wobbly impeller.

Take a power drill or something that causes small vibrations when pressed against your pump. NOT the drill bit, just the body. See if you can recreate that sound while the pump is off. That's how we found whatever the sound was on some pump years ago. For us it was something stupid, we wasted a lot of time on nothing. If nothing makes a noise then it two moving parts rubbing together my guess the impellar. Since you and I are seeing, and not seeing things, might as well see this one through.

I can see in color too but only sometimes, and there backwards.

Thank you, now I can see whats not making sound. I've heard that sound before, and I'm trying to remember what we found. I'm not sure but this is going to come down to something very stupid like a lose diffuser screw, or something bouncing around the impeller and diffuser. Some piece of plastic, or metal is clapping together like a washer. It sounds metal. It also sounds just as loud at the fan cover. But if you say it's up front, then that would mean the impellar is rubbing against the diffuser. So a lose diffuser or wobbly impeller.

Take a power drill or something that causes small vibrations when pressed against your pump. NOT the drill bit, just the body. See if you can recreate that sound while the pump is off. That's how we found whatever the sound was on some pump years ago. For us it was something stupid, we wasted a lot of time on nothing. If nothing makes a noise then it two moving parts rubbing together my guess the impellar. Since you and I are seeing, and not seeing things, might as well see this one through.

I can see in color too but only sometimes, and there backwards.
I’ll give the drill against the side a shot.

I feel it is somewhere around the impeller end as it’s not as loud when I press my ear to the fan end of the housing vs the wet end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not believe it is cavitation as this sounds like metal on metal.

It occurs also at higher speeds but to a lesser extent.

If we don’t think it’s the seal, I would venture to guess it is the fastener in center of the impeller… disappointing as this would mean a complete disassembly.

In such event, is it best to install an entirely new GOKIT? Or is that overkill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.