Pump ran dry - fixable?

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I seek the salvation of the pump gurus.....

It's a Hayward PowerFlo Matrix with a century 2 speed, 1hp pump.

I was circulating the pool a few days ago, and a hose clamp came loose. Before I noticed it, I lost a couple thousand gallons of water, and the pump ran dry. The breaker tripped, so I'm not sure how hot it got before shutting down.

I separated the wet end from the motor, and ran it. Sounded a little strained, but turned on fine.

Put it all back together and hooked up the plumbing and turned it on. It runs on low speed ok, but when I put it on high speed, it runs for about 10-15 seconds, before it kicks itself to low speed (while still on the high speed circuit). During those 10-15 seconds, the flow rate is noticeably lower than it was before. It also seems like the motor body is warming up a lot faster than before.

I did not disassemble it far enough to look at windings or the motor innards. I was hoping to get a diagnosis from the description of the symptoms. Any further suggestions? Any guess as to whether this is fixable, or should I just cut my losses and buy a new motor?

Thanks everyone.

I'm not going to pull out my jump to conclusions mat just yet, but I just did a bonehead move and forgot to remove my on/off pump timer clips after starting the draining process...so yesterday the pump ran for about 7 hours until I got home and shut it off. Breaker didn't trip, and it didn't even seem any hotter than it normally is when it runs with water. Pool is already drained and winterized so I will have to wait until next year to find out...its a Challenger PAC-FAB 2HP.

Reactions: Soupy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.