Pump Progressively Losing Flow

mkkarnold

May 30, 2019
Knoxville, Tennessee
I have combed through dozens of threads, but I cannot find anything that will resolve the issues I am having with my sand filter. I have an Intex Krystal Clear 28645EG sand filter and pump. I have checked the fittings to make sure they are secure. I have disassembled the pump to make sure it is clean and the impeller is spinning freely. The sand is only 1 year old, as is the filter and pump. When I run the pump, it progressively loses flow to the point where hardly anything exits the pump into the pool. There are no obstructions in the inlets or hoses. I can recover the flow by either running the recirculating or backwash functions on the filter. That will allow the flow to go back to "normal," but then the clock starts ticking until the flow decreases to almost nothing. What else can I check for this problem?

Sounds like your filter is loading up, you may have an algae bloom starting. Is your water clear? Water chemistry test results may explain this problem. How are you monitoring your water chemistry and sanitizing your pool?

Last edited:
Reactions: mkkarnold
Your description is a textbook example of a dirty filter.

You get good flow on recirculate. That means it gets sucked into the pump, sent to the multiport valve on the filter, and then straight back to the pool. So good flow means no clogs in the skimmer or pump impeller, no air leaks, no collapsed hose.

That leaves only the filter. Low flow and high pressure indicate a dirty filter. You backwash and the flow improves. Diagnosis confirmed.

Now you need to look at WHY this is happening within hours rather than the usual weeks or months. Is the pool green? Is it cloudy?Does the water look dull?

Based on my experiences here for several years, I'll wager you have algae. It might not be bad enough to show up as green. Yet. You're probably at the equilibrium where you're killing it as fast as its growing, hence the endless supply of dead algae to clog your filter. One day without enough chlorine or a sudden heat wave and it's all over. It'll be green.

The cure is to kill the algae faster than it can reproduce until its all dead. We call it a SLAM Process It's not the same as "shocking" the pool the way the pool store teaches. I urge you to read the article. There are also plenty of threads with pictures here. Just do what they did.

Ok, so that makes sense based on my situation. The chemical levels all test ok, except for stabilizer which I just added. It got a bit... nasty over the winter due to my negligence, so I am clearing out organic debris and dead algae. I used a bunch of algaecide to kill off the problems, now the junk on the bottom is slowly clearing each time I vacuum, but based on what you are saying, it sounds like when it gets stirred up into the water, it is clogging the filter possibly? So, I am assuming, until I clear that nonsense out of the pool completely, which I am very close to completing, I should just keep clearing the filter?

Great. Test strips are not sufficient. To properly manage your pool water chemistry, and to follow the SLAM Process process, you need a proper test kit.
Order a TF-100. See Test Kits Compared

While waiting on delivery of your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine/plain bleach to the pool water each evening.

Yes this is the source of your issue. As the temps rise the algae is going to overrun your pool so you need to take control. The test strips are not accurate enough and are not helping you so gear up and take control. Once you have your water sanitized and balanced the maintenance is easy and there is no need for expensive chemical potions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.