Pump problems? Spa acting funny

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Walked out and found my hot tub (which empties in to my pool) was pumping more than normal, there was more water in the spa than normal (above the tile line) and something wasn't right. Checked my filters and went ahead and cleaned them, also checked the basket in front of the pump. I noticed the pressure meter on the filters was high - 22. It appears the pumps shooting water in to the spa are shooting harder than normal. Any ideas what is going on? Should I drain the spa and then refill it? Going to try to post a video to youtube and link here in a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_9050.jpg
    IMG_9050.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9051.jpg
    IMG_9051.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 9
I don't know how your stuff is set up, but it looks like some valve(s) have been changed to send all your return water, or most of it, to the spa.

Post pics of your equipment pad and valves.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 3994F07F-E86C-497D-8AAD-64BFCF59599E.jpeg
    3994F07F-E86C-497D-8AAD-64BFCF59599E.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 8F42DE12-0423-4E3D-8AED-D4B18FB7AF95.jpeg
    8F42DE12-0423-4E3D-8AED-D4B18FB7AF95.jpeg
    805.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 48B0C6F1-DB89-4FEE-8B23-02131814745C.jpeg
    48B0C6F1-DB89-4FEE-8B23-02131814745C.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 11
GMTK,

Your Return valve (the one right after your tab feeder) is set to let 50% of the water into your Spa and 50% into your pool..

On the actuator is a little switch with 3 positions... On--Off--On.. Make sure the switch is not in the Off position.. If not, then move the switch from one On to the other On and see if the valve moves.. Move it back to the original On and see if it moves...

Let us know what happens..

Normally when in the Pool mode, this valve would let most of the water go to the Pool and only about 10% or so to the Spa side.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I turned everything off and let it sit for an hour and came out and turned it back on. Appears to be working correctly now and water is coming out of the pool returns, and the pressure is down in the filters. Going to post a pic of how the valve is now so you can tell me what position this is.
And of course, while I’m out here I see my waterfall pump is leaking. Amazing.

Attachments

• 8AEC500D-29FE-455A-8292-CBC486BD6726.jpeg
    8AEC500D-29FE-455A-8292-CBC486BD6726.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 8
GMTK,

The valve in your pic is the Return valve.. The water comes from your tab feeder and in the current position goes out both pipes.. The pipe on the left (with the check valve) goes to your Spa. The pipe on the right goes to you Pool returns..

If you look at the handle, the fat end says "Off".. This means that when the off is pointed at a port, that port, or pipe, is off and should have no water flow. In your case, if you go into the Spa mode, the "off" tab should point at the pipe on the right (pool).. This would allow all the water to go to the Spa and none of the water will go to the Pool.

If this were my pool, I would switch back and forth between the Pool mode and the Spa mode and make sure that both of your automated valves (Return and Intake) turn at the same time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it’s happening again....

we used the spa last night, worked great. This morning when the program started the valve doesn’t go back to return water to the pool and spa. Almost like it’s stuck. It’s automatic so I’m thinking it’s either the control board or the valve itself. Will it hurt anything if I manually move the valve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.