Pump Priming - Equipment Pad Higher Than Pool

Username33

May 26, 2022
Kelowna
Hi everyone,

I'm going to open our pool by myself this year. Last year I had a very difficult time priming the pump. Our equipment pad is roughly 5 feet higher than the pool so I had to close the return valves (2), fill the pump, and very gradually pull the water up to the pump level by turning the pump on very low and very gradually opening the valve. One false move and all my progress was lost.

As a pool opening and equipment noobie, are there any good write ups or videos on how to successfully prime a pool pump and get the water flowing when the equipment is higher than the pool?

Equipment List:
  • Hayward HLBase Omnilogic
  • Hayward Tristar VS 900 Pum
  • Hayward H200 (natural gas)
  • Hayward C4030 cartridge filter
  • Hayward Salt Cell
  • 4 deck jets
  • 14' x 30' fiberglass pool

What goes into your pump intake? I have 2 skimmers and a floor return. If I shut everything off but one skimmer it primes much quicker. If I stick a hose into the skimmer it primes even faster.

an easy way to prime is to connect your waterhose from the house sillcock to the drain on the strainer. Fill the pump, strainer, and start the pump with the water running.. Then after it is primed shut off the waterhose and disconnect. Works every time.

Got pics of the equipment ? Do you have a valve before the pump you can close ? Pretty sure @1poolman1 had a great idea of 'walking' the water to prime. Fill the basket, turn the pump on for a bit, close the valve and shut the pump off. That will lock the water at however high it made it so you can fill the basket again, and repeat as many times as needed.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to open our pool by myself this year. Last year I had a very difficult time priming the pump. Our equipment pad is roughly 5 feet higher than the pool so I had to close the return valves (2), fill the pump, and very gradually pull the water up to the pump level by turning the pump on very low and very gradually opening the valve. One false move and all my progress was lost.

As a pool opening and equipment noobie, are there any good write ups or videos on how to successfully prime a pool pump and get the water flowing when the equipment is higher than the pool?

Equipment List:
  • Hayward HLBase Omnilogic
  • Hayward Tristar VS 900 Pum
  • Hayward H200 (natural gas)
  • Hayward C4030 cartridge filter
  • Hayward Salt Cell
  • 4 deck jets
  • 14' x 30' fiberglass pool
Hopefully there is a check valve in the suction line before the pump. The further from the pump, if there is room, the more water will be trapped in the line that doesn't fall to the pool and makes priming easier. Even at 5' it shouldn't be that hard to get a good pump with a well plumbed system to prime in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: Newdude
What goes into your pump intake? I have 2 skimmers and a floor return. If I shut everything off but one skimmer it primes much quicker. If I stick a hose into the skimmer it primes even faster.

I have two lines, each with a valve. One is for the skimmer and the other for the main drain. So when I prime the pump I do the skimmer first and then the main drain. I had not considered putting a hose directly into the skimmer. That's interesting.

an easy way to prime is to connect your waterhose from the house sillcock to the drain on the strainer. Fill the pump, strainer, and start the pump with the water running.. Then after it is primed shut off the waterhose and disconnect. Works every time.

What do you mean by the 'drain on the strainer'? Do you mean directly into the skimmer?

Got pics of the equipment ? Do you have a valve before the pump you can close ? Pretty sure @1poolman1 had a great idea of 'walking' the water to prime. Fill the basket, turn the pump on for a bit, close the valve and shut the pump off. That will lock the water at however high it made it so you can fill the basket again, and repeat as many times as needed.

Walking to prime works. Last year I had a few times where I opened the valve too quickly and had to start from scratch again. The other problem I run into it turning the pump on and off because the panel isn't within reach of the valve and the most important thing is closing that valve quickly!

Have you ever heard of a drainJet? It's a hose fitting used to force water and unclog drains. Works great for priming. Lowe's sells them

I have not. Will check this out.

Hopefully there is a check valve in the suction line before the pump. The further from the pump, if there is room, the more water will be trapped in the line that doesn't fall to the pool and makes priming easier. Even at 5' it shouldn't be that hard to get a good pump with a well plumbed system to prime in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, lucky there. Each suction line has a valve I can open and close.

I guess the bottom line here is that I have been doing this correctly and the more experience I get the less of a pain priming the pump will be. There isn't really a magic solution just patience and skill (and valves).

Thanks everyone!

All pumps should self-prime. What if you just let it go and after the priming stage is over if it isn't primed yet, crank it to full speed? I can look in my pump lid and see water priming through the intake from the pool. Once I see water over that edge it will prime within 30 seconds. It is just getting to that initial water draw that is key.

The drain port on the pump or strainer. You can easily put a $1 plastic nipple with a $3 valve and use a $2 adapter from npt to water hose fitting. Always works if the seals are not bad. works with a minor suction leak as well. My minor and your minor may be different though!!

The drain port on the pump or strainer. You can easily put a $1 plastic nipple with a $3 valve and use a $2 adapter from npt to water hose fitting. Always works if the seals are not bad. works with a minor suction leak as well. My minor and your minor may be different though!!
This sounds great!

Could you please elaborate on the nipple, valve, adapter (links preferred)? Does the setup stay firm in the drain port on its own, so you can go to the panel etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just go to the big box hardware store. They will have these.

I dont know what size your fitting on your strainer or pump is but something like these work and they are cheap.

1/4 in nipple
1685727466629.png

1/4 valve
1685727538283.png
garden hose adapter
1685727649894.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.