Liberty, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Last summer our pump started shutting off and turning back on randomly. Now that it’s getting hot outside it’s doing the same thing. I’m guessing it’s overheating. We’re looking into getting a new pump, but does anyone have any tips/tricks to keep it on. The pump motor has sun on it during the afternoon. Should we get a cover for it? Also I usually run the pump from 7a-7p. Would it be okay to change the pump run time to overnight? Or should it be running during the day?

How old is the pump? What model?
If it is overheating, it is likely bearings nearing failure. I have a black motor on my pump that sits in the pounding Texas sun all day and has no issues. You can try shading it, but if the heating is coming from the bearings that won't help. You can try running it at night. Just be aware that you may have issues with your chlorine level falling precipitously during the day if you do that. Without the pump running, your SWG won't be generating chlorine and the UV of the sun will be depleting your chlorine rapidly.

How old is the pump? What model?
If it is overheating, it is likely bearings nearing failure. I have a black motor on my pump that sits in the pounding Texas sun all day and has no issues. You can try shading it, but if the heating is coming from the bearings that won't help. You can try running it at night. Just be aware that you may have issues with your chlorine level falling precipitously during the day if you do that. Without the pump running, your SWG won't be generating chlorine and the UV of the sun will be depleting your chlorine rapidly.
I think it’s 5-6 years old. A Pentair super flow 1.5HP. Is changing the bearings something that can be done by us or just time to replace the pump? It’s pretty noisy as well.

I think it’s 5-6 years old. A Pentair super flow 1.5HP. Is changing the bearings something that can be done by us or just time to replace the pump? It’s pretty noisy as well.
Noisy is a dead giveaway that it's bearings.
Easiest is to pull out the yellow pages and see if you can find a motor shop. They could change the bearings quickly & easily.

I have changed bearings on some motors. It can be done, but you will need a bearing puller tool.
The size you need would depend on the motor shaft.

Then you need to find replacement bearings of the right size and have a deep socket or something to use as a tool to seat them. That is all if you can get the motor casing open easily enough--many times the through-bolts are seized up.

Easiest to find a motor shop to do it.

Reactions: OlivasFam
Note that to re-assemble the pump, you will need a new seal kit for your specific pump. These are inexpensive and easy to install if you're handy with a wrench. If the motor shop is familiar with pool pumps, they might even do it for you.

A rebuild of your pump:

Edit: He did not replace the pump seals. He should have. It's likely he will get a leak before too long. After all that work to replace the rusted bearings, a $20 seal kit would have been cheap insurance against it repeating.

Last edited:
If you attempt the bearing replacement, you will also need a snap-ring tool to remove the ring on the front of the shaft (and, at times, the rear) before attempting to pull the bearing. A six-inch piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe works great as a bearing installer. Using a light hammer to drive the bearing on, the pipe sits on the inner race only and won't damage the bearing. DO NOT attempt to drive the bearing on by using the outer diameter, it will destroy the bearing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.