Pump overheating (I think)

Which pump do you have? Your signature says Pentair Hayward, but its either one or the other. Your pump probably has a start capacitor that needs to be replaced. Once we know which pump you have we can look up the specific part you may need.

before you replace the capacitor, remove the pump lid and with the breaker/power off, reach in
and see if the impeller spins freely.

My pump once jammed up from a clump of pine needles.
Cleared them out then it was fine.

Well, just an update on this. Given the fact that my home was still under warranty, I decided to call the home warranty company and see if they'd take care of it. Well they did, and I was impressed with the turnaround. The pump went out Friday afternoon, I put in a claim Friday night and they had someone out Saturday morning. The technician tried to turn on the pump and it sparked and started smoking. He told me to leave the breaker in the off position and they'd replace it on Monday morning...which they did.

Now my question is that it looks like they replaced my Pentair Challenger 1.5hp with a Century/Centurion 1.0 hp. I've been reading that True HP can vary based on Service Factor, but just a quick check online, the Challenger goes for around $500 and the Century is around $150. Did they replace very nice pump with cheapo pump?

Upon further research, it looks like I had a Centurion pump motor before as well. Is the "Challenger" the whole pump system including baskeet, lid, impeller, etc? Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Well, just an update on this. Given the fact that my home was still under warranty, I decided to call the home warranty company and see if they'd take care of it. Well they did, and I was impressed with the turnaround. The pump went out Friday afternoon, I put in a claim Friday night and they had someone out Saturday morning. The technician tried to turn on the pump and it sparked and started smoking. He told me to leave the breaker in the off position and they'd replace it on Monday morning...which they did.

Now my question is that it looks like they replaced my Pentair Challenger 1.5hp with a Century/Centurion 1.0 hp. I've been reading that True HP can vary based on Service Factor, but just a quick check online, the Challenger goes for around $500 and the Century is around $150. Did they replace very nice pump with cheapo pump?

Upon further research, it looks like I had a Centurion pump motor before as well. Is the "Challenger" the whole pump system including baskeet, lid, impeller, etc? Sorry for the confusion.

I think you have answered your own question..... but most like your warranty says they could and does not have to be an exact replacement, their choice.

Ya nothing beats the home warranty repair time!

I had a cracked very old multi-port valve that I had replaced under warranty
and they arrived very quickly in mid opening season.

I asked the repair guy how it was possible they came out so fast and
he said if I had just called them it would have been weeks instead of a
day. When they get home-warranty service calls they have to act
immediately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.