Pump not working right?

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
I am performing a slam and having a challenge getting water to go from cloudy to clear. Normal starting pressure is a 5, but by the time it registers about 5.5 there is very little flow from the returns. I’m not able to let the pressure increase by 25% as recommended or I wouldn’t be moving any water at all. I have only been at it 5 days and know slams can take much longer. It there anything I could do to improve the efficiency of my filter system?

I keep tripping my gfi outlet on high
That would seem to indicate either a potential (future) problem with the motor itself, or some resistance in the impeller area causing a drag and excessive heat perhaps. Have you inspected the impeller area recently? How old is your Power-Flo Matrix?

Still continuing to work on clearing my cloudy water. I bought DE for pools as recommended. I probably added 2 1/2 cups of DE following the directions on this site. My pressure started at 6 and never changed. I stopped because I thought it was suspicious for it not to change. I have a new pressure gauge on my filter. Flow seemed ok, but was down to no flow about 2 hours later so I backwashed. I’m pretty frustrated. My filter has always cleared the water inside a week and I’ve never had water like this before.

Still continuing to work on clearing my cloudy water. I bought DE for pools as recommended. I probably added 2 1/2 cups of DE following the directions on this site. My pressure started at 6 and never changed. I stopped because I thought it was suspicious for it not to change. I have a new pressure gauge on my filter. Flow seemed ok, but was down to no flow about 2 hours later so I backwashed. I’m pretty frustrated. My filter has always cleared the water inside a week and I’ve never had water like this before.
Stopping the addition of DE was a good choice. The 1psi pressure rise with DE should be done at high speed. If you can't run at high speed, then use your flow rate out the return as a gauge. Then the flow gets to about 1/2 of clean flow, backwash. I think your DE is working.

How big is the filter?

After I backwashed, I added another 2 cups of DE. Then in less than 40 min, I had no flow again. It seems like this process will take a lot of water and babysitting. This morning my water was as clear as I had ever seen it. Then The started my vacuum and added DE at the same time. I’m mad at them both right now…

• Haha
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After I backwashed, I added another 2 cups of DE. Then in less than 40 min, I had no flow again. It seems like this process will take a lot of water and babysitting. This morning my water was as clear as I had ever seen it. Then The started my vacuum and added DE at the same time. I’m mad at them both right now…
Try a cup.

I tried 1 cup and then 3/4 of a cup with the same result. I add it and check an hour later and there is no flow from the return. I just backwashed and added 1/2 cup. I have always followed TFP and know that it works. I'm not a chemist, so I'm not sure why I should stay away from some of the pool chemicals like clarifiers. What would that do to my pool? It seems like a quick way to fix the problem I'm having, but I have a feeling it's a trap.

it's a trap.
It is. Take these, follow directions on the bottle... It will get there.
full

Finally! Success! I was out all day on Saturday and ignored the pool. This morning when I checked it, BAM! Clear water! I still have some work to do. There is a white sediment on the pool floor that I can see. I will hook up my manual pool vac and hit those spots tomorrow morning. I’m also planning to do the OCLT starting tonight.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.