Pump not turning on

Rabber

Apr 12, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I turned off the pump to change the filter. When I flip the switch to turn it back on, nothing happens. I can hear the timer clicking. The wires are secure and tested the power with a multimeter it is getting 120 volts. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Can you post a pic of your timer? Also tell us if you turned the power off at the timer or the pump itself? Might also help to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info for future posts and reference. Hopefully we can help you out.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Can you post a pic of your timer? Also tell us if you turned the power off at the timer or the pump itself? Might also help to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info for future posts and reference. Hopefully we can help you out.
Thank you. :wave: I turned it off at the timer. I don’t see what way to turn it on manually at the pump.

Attachments

• 7AFF6F43-BF9D-4AF3-9113-2A8BB5ACE17D.jpeg
    7AFF6F43-BF9D-4AF3-9113-2A8BB5ACE17D.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 13
You mentioned that you tested 120V earlier. Is that what your Hayward pump is set-up for - 120V? Not 240? I ask because unless that's some sort of coating, Line 3 looks to be burnt. If that terminal is fried, you're only getting half the circuit. 120V might allow the clock to operate (the clicking) but not the pump. Let's get a second opinion from @ajw22 or @JamesW .

Last edited:
You mentioned that you tested 120V earlier. Is that what your Hayward pump is set-up for - 120V? Not 240? I ask because unless that's some sort of coating, Line 3 looks to be burnt. If that terminal is fried, you're only getting half the circuit. 120V might allow the clock to operate (the clicking) but not the pump. Let's get a second opinion from @ajw22.
🤦‍♂️ I think you're right. I'm still learning.

I'm still learning.
Aren't we all! Ha. Until we get some more eyes on this, do you happen to see which timer that is (T103, T104)? Also, do you know what else is wired into the timer other than just the pump?

Aren't we all! Ha. Until we get some more eyes on this, do you happen to see which timer that is (T103, T104)? Also, do you know what else is wired into the timer other than just the pump?
I looked on the back and the only writing I see is “Made in Mexico” I don’t know how to tell if it is T103 or T104. I don’t think anything else is wired into the timer. There is a heater that doesn’t work. An orange light comes on when I flip the switch, but is doesn’t do anything. There is a light in the pool and a 500 watt light above the pool, but I don’t think any of those are connected to the timer.

Last edited:
That looks like a T103 since you have a neutral under screw A and it looks like the white timer wires are connected to screws A and 1.

How many wires do you have connected under each screw? Best practice is to not have more than 2 wires under each screw.

Full specs on the pump, wires, breakers, and all that is connected to the timer to comment further on the adequacy of that timer setup.

That looks like a T103 since you have a neutral under screw A and it looks like the white timer wires are connected to screws A and 1.

How many wires do you have connected under each screw? Best practice is to not have more than 2 wires under each screw.

Full specs on the pump, wires, breakers, and all that is connected to the timer to comment further on the adequacy of that timer setup.
There are no more than two wires under each screw. There is also salt water chlorinator attached to the timer, but I don’t use it since the cell is bad. Here are the pump specs and a picture of the breaker box.

Attachments

• 77DD4167-9EA3-46FA-888E-05FB861A5E56.jpeg
    77DD4167-9EA3-46FA-888E-05FB861A5E56.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 3
  • ECDF5F2D-7FCF-46D6-A7D5-BEB03420FA9A.jpeg
    ECDF5F2D-7FCF-46D6-A7D5-BEB03420FA9A.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 3
I don't know what burned out that screw but I see a bunch of wires scrunched behind the yellow tab.

1618347582632.png

You can get a T104 timer, cap off the neutral wire, and run the timer all on 24V.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.