Pump not turning on, no sound

bv01

Jun 10, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve had great help from this forum in the past, and want to ask for advice again. My pump stopped running. No humming, no sound at all. I confirmed with a multimeter that I have 240V running to the pump, the capacitor is good, and the wiring looks ok too. If it is jammed or bearings are bad, I should hear that, right? What else could be going on?

You are correct, a jammed pump would have a sound (humming), and bad bearings would also make noise of some kind, even if they were fully seized, you should hear a hum.

I'm assuming that you checked voltage at the motor head.

Have you tried turning the motor/pump by hand?

If you can't turn the motor/pump by hand, you can try seperating the motor from the pump, to determine which is bound.

Bottom line, it sounds like your motor is probably bad, and probably needs changed, if you do change out the motor, you should also change out all the seals.

You are correct, a jammed pump would have a sound (humming), and bad bearings would also make noise of some kind, even if they were fully seized, you should hear a hum.

I'm assuming that you checked voltage at the motor head.

Have you tried turning the motor/pump by hand?

If you can't turn the motor/pump by hand, you can try seperating the motor from the pump, to determine which is bound.

Bottom line, it sounds like your motor is probably bad, and probably needs changed, if you do change out the motor, you should also change out all the seals.
I didn't think trying to turn the motor/pump manually. Will try to do that and see what if it turns. Good to know that if I have to change the motor, I also have to change the seals. I have a feeling I know what I will be doing this weekend... Thank you for your help!!

If you are able to access the center motor shaft from the rear cover, try giving it a few turns manually with a wrench to see if it got bound-up with corrosion or something. Power OFF of course. Then try it again.
Great advice, will try this. Fingers crossed. I really hope I'm not going to have to cough up the money for a new motor/pump. Thank you for your help!

Motor may have a thermal overload that could be open.
There could be a reset button or it may reset when cool or could be stuck open.
I know my pump shuts off when it gets too hot inside the pool shed. It automatically restarts though and the temperatures haven't been too high here in the last few days. I will double check if my pump has a reset button to make sure. Thanks for taking the time helping me out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.