Pump not priming/strainer basket not filling

May 23, 2010
Opening pool after 2 yrs. Company comes and opens. They did but then we had to switch off pump because of massive amount of leaves. We finally cleaned the leaves.

But now water is green.

I know the DE filter needs back washing but the pump won't prime. So I am stuck.

I have never opened the filter before. Do I need to do that now?

The strainer basket fills only uptil halfway up( I did top it off. If I turn off the pump, the water is all the way inside strainer). I have only one skimmer on( with both it's not at all working).

My question is if there is an air leak somewhere, should I see water bubbles at inlet valves? I guess I don't understand how the air leak works. Does the air circulate or is it simply stuck in the strainer valve or somewhere else?

My husband did mistakenly open the strainer basket to clean and then didn't close it properly and the pump ran like that for a day till I saw. So yes, air went in but I saw huge bubbles coming out of inlets when I bumped the pump next time. Then bubbles stopped. So, I am guessing that air is gone?

Thank you!

:party: Was it hard? I was SO scared the first time I had to open my sand filter! Good for you!

Make a note of the "clean" pressure reading. When the pressure gets 25% over the clean pressure it is time to do a backwash or whatever you do to clean it again. It will need to be done often as you clear up your pool.

Kim:kim:

It's my setup.

There is no "backwash" setting as the YouTube videos show. I did it 2 yrs back. But now, it's not working.

I have to figure out what is going on underground, coz the water needs to come out from somewhere if I close the valves to the pool, but it isn't! ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.