Pump not priming and surging

May 16, 2017
DFW, TX
My pump will not prime, but, is pulling some water in a surging motion. It does this with one, two or all three jandy suction valves open. This tells me it may not be a single suction line. Also, I re-lubed my o-ring on the pump with no fix.

I did allow my skimmer to get too full with leaves recently. When cleaning it out, some leaves got pulled into the suction line.

Although likely unrelated, my DE filter is dirty and was running at close to 30psi for a few days before this started.

Any ideas?

Try and snake through the skimmer line with a Drain King.

OK… Checked the impeller and I can make it move with my finger. I went ahead and used the drain king on the suction line from the skimmer and there are no blockages.

when I fired up the pump is still sucking water slowly but still surging. Any ideas?

I’ll also upload a video shortly for y’all to check out.

Sure sounds like you are sucking in a TON of air......there has to be something wrong between the skimmer and the impeller. You read the article on suction side leaks, right?

Most common leak is the o-ring on the lid. Are the drain plugs tight on the pump body?

Thank you for the input and yes I have read the article on suction side leaks.

my O-ring is pretty old and when I cleaned it before relubing today a lot of black came off of it so it may be to deteriorating. With that, I’ll pick up another one tomorrow and let y’all know if that does the trick.

I have a DE filter and one of my friends has a sand filter. He had a similar issue and it turned out his sand filter was extremely dirty. Is it possible that with my DE filter being at 30+ psi for a few days this could be the issue? I have not cleaned it yet.

Definitely backwash your DE filter.

What is your clean filter pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TFP recommends cleaning filters when filter pressure increases by 25% over clean pressure. My DE filter is about 18 clean and I backwash when it gets to around 28.

Being 30+ for you is too high.

You have a RECIRCULATE setting on your MPV? Set the MPV to RECIRCULATE. That takes the filter offline. See if your flow improves.

Keep in mind you have a suction problem. The filter is on the pressure side and is unrelated to the symptoms you show in the video. If the pressure side is restricted, the result is HIGH pressure.....not the 3-7 lbs your gauge is showing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.