May 25, 2020
Central North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
~20k gallons, in ground, chlorine, sand filter, 1hp pump

Began opening the pool about a month back. Equipment seemed fine. Vac’d to waste a couple of times in the process of opening. Last weekend, the pump was no longer able to fully prime after vacuuming.

I’ll fill it with water in an attempt to prime. But when cutting the pump on, it will take a long time to fully fill the visible area. And even when the water level in the pump rises to nearly full, it will drop and begin filling again. The filter barely registers any pressure, occasionally it will pulse up to 6-8 psi but quickly back to 0. Lots of air bubbles come out of the jets. I can visibly see the skimmer pulling water in.

I thought I may have a clogged skimmer line. That doesn’t seem to be the case. I used a drain bladder device to force any debris out of the skimmer line. Water flowed out of the line and into the pool and never anything more than the tiniest shred of a leaf came through the line. So I feel pretty good that the skimmer line is clear.

I tried checking the impeller. I couldn’t feel any debris in there, so I feel like it’s clear also.

We bought this house 4 years ago (just the 3rd year using the pool), pool was already here…about 25 years old. The equipment doesn’t look brand new by any stretch, but I can’t say exactly how old it is. So I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s time for a new pump. It’s a Hayward pump, but I can’t find a manufacture date on it.

Anything else I should I be looking for? I don’t see any leaks or cracks in the fittings around the pump. O-ring on the lid looks fine, i went ahead and added some lube to it.

Any signs that Flex PVC has been used in your plumbing?

Check that your weir door swings freely.

Did you watch your skimmer water level when the pump is priming? See that the skimmer is not getting sucked dry.

Do you have 1 or 2 skimmers? Does either have a valve on it at the equipment pad? My thinking if you had 2 skimmers and you were using 1 for vacuuming then try only to have suction from the other to determine if pump primes better.

Also, are you bleeding air from your filter when the pump is priming? That may help to stop the gauge bouncing around. Just want to ensure the filter is fill of water.

Any signs that Flex PVC has been used in your plumbing?

Check that your weir door swings freely.

Did you watch your skimmer water level when the pump is priming? See that the skimmer is not getting sucked dry.

There is some flex pvc used. Where my lines (skimmer, wall suction, main drain) come put up the ground and up to the pump there’s 12-15” of flex pvc on each line with a shutoff valve for each line. Then it’s sch40 pvc beyond that.

Weir door is swinging like it should

Skimmer water level does not suck dry upon priming.

Do you have 1 or 2 skimmers? Does either have a valve on it at the equipment pad? My thinking if you had 2 skimmers and you were using 1 for vacuuming then try only to have suction from the other to determine if pump primes better.

Also, are you bleeding air from your filter when the pump is priming? That may help to stop the gauge bouncing around. Just want to ensure the filter is fill of water.
1 skimmer and it does have a shutoff valve.

I have bled the air from the filter. After 5 seconds of air hissing out, I’ll get a brief spray of water from the filter. But never a sustained stream of water like I would when then pump is fully primed.

There is some flex pvc used. Where my lines (skimmer, wall suction, main drain) come put up the ground and up to the pump there’s 12-15” of flex pvc on each line with a shutoff valve for each line. Then it’s sch40 pvc beyond that.
Post pics of your equipment pad and that area.

Post pics of your equipment pad and that area.
There’s an old heater to the right that is no longer plumbed into the system. So just ignore that.

When I went to take this picture I heard, for the first time since this issue began, what sounded like a hissing noise. As if there’s a crack somewhere allowing air in. I’m not seeing any drips/wetness around the pipe fittings. Any wetness on the ground is from yesterdays attempts to fill the pump with water to prime it.

Also of note, the handles on each of the shutoffs (wall suction, main drain, skimmer…in the order from left to right in the photo) were broken when we purchased the house. I can still turn those valves. Wall suction is off, main drain is off, skimmer is on. For what it’s worth, I’ve never used the wall suction or main drain in the 3 years of using this pool.

I have this same priming issue no matter what the MPV is set to. Filter, Recirculation, Waste, Backwash (it never primes enough to actually backwash).

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Have you tried just to use the main drain suction to see if the pump acts any differently? I would have the pump on, then open the main drain, see if there is any change, then close the skimmer valve and see if there is any further change in suction.

When I went to take this picture I heard, for the first time since this issue began, what sounded like a hissing noise. As if there’s a crack somewhere allowing air in.

Find and fix the hissing and you will probably fix the priming problem.

A suction side air leak causes priming problems.

I’m not seeing any drips/wetness around the pipe fittings. Any wetness on the ground is from yesterdays attempts to fill the pump with water to prime it.

A leak on the suction side does not leak water. It sucks in air when the pump is running. It may leak some water when the pump is off or not.

Find and fix the hissing and you will probably fix the priming problem.

A suction side air leak causes priming problems.

A leak on the suction side does not leak water. It sucks in air when the pump is running. It may leak some water when the pump is off or not.

Yes, after hearing the hissing this morning, I’m sure that’s the issue. I’m guessing soapy water is a good way to find it (similar to looking for a leak in a tire)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, after hearing the hissing this morning, I’m sure that’s the issue. I’m guessing soapy water is a good way to find it (similar to looking for a leak in a tire)?
A leak in a tire is a pressure side leak pushing air out and will be seen in water. A suction side air leak is sucking air in and be less visible.

Use your hearing the hiss to get close to the area. You can wrap Saran Wrap around different areas until you find where the leak stops. Some folks use an incense stick to see where the smoke is sucked in.

A leak in a tire is a pressure side leak pushing air out and will be seen in water. A suction side air leak is sucking air in and be less visible.

Use your hearing the hiss to get close to the area. You can wrap Saran Wrap around different areas until you find where the leak stops. Some folks use an incense stick to see where the smoke is sucked in.

Ah yes, that makes sense (pressure vs suction). Didn’t think that one through before asking, lol.

Thank you!

I’m sorry, I can’t tell what this picture is trying to show me
There is a video on YouTube that the pic is from. The guy shows how to pour water over various areas to find a suction side air leak.

I did not suggest that since that technique may work for finding a small air leak causing bubbles in the pump. When you pour water on the leak area you see the bubbles in the pump stop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.