Stephenrross

Jul 6, 2019
McKinney, tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, got an issue that I have been trying to figure out for a year now. Pool pump basket does not fill completely with water unless I have spa drain on as well. Have 2 skimmers and floor drain. After prime speed drops to 1800 and air starts building up. Water gets down to top of pump basket after10/12 hours. First thought was air leak in plumbing but turned each skimmer and main drain off one at a time and still happens. Could this be an impeller problem not pulling enough water? Or is anyone else has an idea, I am open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

Can you Create Your Signature to help us understand what is your current setup?
If you just have the skimmer and/or main drain as suction, and your VS pump starts up at full speed - does it fill the pump basket and clear the bubbles? As you decrease the pump speed after initial priming, does the bubbles consistently appear at 1800 rpm?
What is your filter pressure and how does that fluctuate with speed?
There is a possibility that something (a big leaf?) could be lodged in your impeller but need to understand these other parameters.
Also, @ajw22 is the pump expert.

Other then an air bubble in the top of your pump basket are there any other signs of problems?

Can you Create Your Signature to help us understand what is your current setup?
If you just have the skimmer and/or main drain as suction, and your VS pump starts up at full speed - does it fill the pump basket and clear the bubbles? As you decrease the pump speed after initial priming, does the bubbles consistently appear at 1800 rpm?
What is your filter pressure and how does that fluctuate with speed?
There is a possibility that something (a big leaf?) could be lodged in your impeller but need to understand these other parameters.
Also, @ajw22 is the pump expert.
Never completely fills unless spa, main drain, and both skimmers are on. Spa is above gear

14k gal, Pool/Spa IG pebble 2.0 HP Jandy ePump pump, DE filter, Chlorine, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit

Never completely fills unless spa, main drain, and both skimmers are on. Spa is above gear
Since spa level is above the pump suction level - then if you only have it on spa mode, does the pump basket stay full and no air bubbles? Or do air bubbles come in at a lower speed - again only in Spa Mode.
Trying to determine if this is pump issue or a suction issue (or both).

None that I can see. After 12 hours of running, water is down to top of basket. Worried it will lose prime running longer

VS pumps running at lower RPMs create an air bubble int he pump. If it is not causing any problems then I would not worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.