Pump noise

My waterfall pump doesn't sound right.
Is it bearings or should I look for something else? I think the motor is only a year old and it usually only runs 15 min a day

Here is the main pump
Main

Here is the waterfall
Waterfall

Here are both together
Both

Thanks for pointers and opinions
Marci
Without being there, waterfall pump sounds more like cavitation than bearings.

Reactions: NewPoolGirlTX
Thank you! Off to research that and how to fix! 😊
Since most waterfalls are just an open line, suction and return, the pump has very little restriction to flow. That means it can pump the water out faster than it can be pulled in resulting in cavitation.
Most waterfall pumps are too large anyway. Installing a smaller impeller usually improves the situation.
A valve installed right after the pump to restrict flow by SLIGHTLY closing it can work. Close it too much and water will be pushed past the shaft seal into the motor. I've seen that regularly. Three weeks ago, put a variable-speed motor on a waterfall pump that had a bad motor (seal leak took out the bearings) and the fall was very noisy. Turned speed down to 1100rpm. Quiet pump, quiet falls.
Again, this is from 1500 miles away listening to a recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewPoolGirlTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.