Pump Noise and Priming Issues

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Guys, my pump is constantly repriming at start up. Also, when the pump is shut off, you can see the pump drain itself. Also, the motor is making a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise. I have owned the pool for 5 years and all the symptoms are new. Also, just cleaned all filters and strainers to see if it would make a difference. No difference. I've attached a video of symptoms. Thank you.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    575.8 KB · Views: 2
You appear to have a suction side air leak somewhere which would allow air to get get pulled-into your system somehow. But first question - how old is the pump itself? 5-years as well? If you haven't seen the suction-side leak page (below). I'd start there. I would also look at some other things since water is draining out when the system is off. Start with thte easy things and go from there. Things like:
- Pump basket O-ring clean, no cuts, and lubbed well; same for the pump drain plug O-ring(s)
- All valves open to allow good water flow; nothing mistakenly closed
- Isolate parts of your system to try and find a potential culprit; isolate the spa, cleaning systen, etc if possible to see if it helps
- Filter pressure gauge not letting air "in" when system is off which can cause water to shift in the plumbing
- Water level good and no obstructions
- Check all above-ground joints/fittings for a potential leak; not always easy to spot

I'd start with these things first to see if there's something relatively simple to work on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.